How's this for cooling my hot Duron?

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
Vantec Socket A cooler

or this...

Alpha PAL6035 kit for Socket A

I've heard the Alpha is the best but is it worth the extra money? It's $28 compared to $15 for the Vantec.

My Duron runs between 50 - 55 C with a Cooler Master HS and fan. I'm also going to try some chipset cooling. Right now it wont go past 750MHz, not even with max voltage (1.85V). Thanks for your help guys. :)

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
That vantec look just like the retail HSF that comes with the duron. Have your tried some silver thermal compound yet? That alpha rocks BTW.

thehammer

Sep 2, 2000
sounds like you got a bad chip or are doing something wrong. Alpha lowered my temp by 5C with generic thermal compound over the boxed hs/f. sell your duron and get another one.

todays

May 11, 2000
I bought the Alpha and boy was it noisy. The fan spinning wasn't that bad, but it vibrated everything, motherboard, case etc. I took off the stock fan and installed a 80mm Sunon 40CFM case fan on the back of the case and ran a duct from the case fan to the Alpha. My Idle temps on my T-Bird 750@915Mhz are now 32c and load temps are 54c. Wide swing. But the funny thing is that the large fan is much quieter than the little 7000 rpm fan. Duct work made from foil tape covered cardboard

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks for your replies guys.

I've thought about buying a new one but more and more are showing up with the multiplier pins removed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I increase the multiplier and when it doesn't post I increase the voltage until it does. I increase the multiplier by 0.5 each time and the voltage in 0.5V increments. I think I just bought a dud.

I haven't tried any silver thermal compound, just plain thermal grease. Does the silver kind transfer heat better?

I'll buy that Alpha and keep trying, I don't want to give up on it yet. Thanks again guys. :)

PS that duct idea sounds pretty cool todays I think I'll give it a try.

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
I went with a Golden Orb and Arctic Silver thermal compound and got up to 900Mhz. When I got the Chrom Orb $15 I finally got up to 950Mhz. Don't forget to vent the case with a 80cm fan blowing outward. My case has holes on both sides covers so it breathes plenty of air inwards. Good luck!

Lowbrassman

Jul 10, 2000
In my system, I have a Kt7 and a duron 600@950 [1.75v]. Right now, the temps are about 54-49 (max). I am using the standard cooler master hsf and a massive case fan blowing on the side of hsf. I think that the cooler masters are okay, but I think that they shouldn't be used by people that overclock there computers to the extreme.