How's that tax cut working out?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did the "tax cut" help or hurt you?

• Tax Rate Went Up - Income $0-50K

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $51-100K

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $101-200K

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $200K+

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $0-50K

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $51-100K

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $101-200K

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $200K+

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I had to revive this thread after something my nephew did.
MY NEPHEW..... a HUGE Trump supporter ""HUGE"", and his sister (my niece) also a HUGE Trump supporter.
Well, my nephew the Donald Trump diehard devoted supporter decided to write a nasty letter directly to his leader, Donald Trump.
A nasty letter after my nephew came up owing over $4000 to the IRS because of that Trump tax scam, whoops, tax plan. ;)
Actually, my nephew got the bad news back in April, and was dealing with the IRS on a payment plan.
Then just this week, the IRS informed my nephew they (the IRS) would take his bank account and his property because the repayment plan had now been declined.
Now about my nephew....
He is a hard head. Loves to argue. Never admits a defeat in any argument. In other words, he's always right. You know the kind....
And he does pretty good. Has a huge house on a 16 acres of land. Works in financial services. Has a college degree in financial services. His three kids have all the toys, including their own ATV to ride around the 16 acres.
He usually got money back, but not after Donald Trump screwed with the tax code.
Now my nephew owes, and the IRS is threatening, so my nephew decides to write this nasty letter directly to Donald Trump.

And to summarize how the Trump election has changed my Trump devoted family members, whom I pray for daily, well my nephew is now in the red with the IRS thanks to Donald Trump.
And his sister (my niece)...... also a huge Trump devotee now has her misgivings as well.
In this supposedly FANTASTIC Trump economy, as Trump puts it, the husband of my niece has lost his job of some 15 years.
Yes, his job was secure during all of the Obama administration, but it only took the election of Donald Trump to change all of that for my niece and her hubby.
So lucky Donald scored two hits in one, my niece and my nephew.
So.... hows that tax cut working out you ask? ;)
Well, just don't ask my nephew. Or my niece.
I'm not gloating that their undying trust in Donald Trump has petered out.
No....
I'm gloating because my ignorant Trump loving family idiots refused to listen when I warded them, DO NOT TRUST DONALD TRUMP!!!!
I warned, and they would not listen.
SO now they write nasty letters, and look for employment at the age of 55.
Morons.... what is a guy to do???

Re your nephew..

How is it that he had a huge house, lots of toys, a job in finance.... And can't pay a $4000 bill straight up?

Sucks the other one lost their job. Best of luck with that.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
MY NEPHEW..... a HUGE Trump supporter ""HUGE"", and his sister (my niece) also a HUGE Trump supporter.
Well, my nephew the Donald Trump diehard devoted supporter decided to write a nasty letter directly to his leader, Donald Trump.
A nasty letter after my nephew came up owing over $4000 to the IRS because of that Trump tax scam, whoops, tax plan. ;)
Actually, my nephew got the bad news back in April, and was dealing with the IRS on a payment plan.
Then just this week, the IRS informed my nephew they (the IRS) would take his bank account and his property because the repayment plan had now been declined.
Now about my nephew....
He is a hard head. Loves to argue. Never admits a defeat in any argument. In other words, he's always right. You know the kind....
And he does pretty good. Has a huge house on a 16 acres of land. Works in financial services. Has a college degree in financial services. His three kids have all the toys, including their own ATV to ride around the 16 acres.
He usually got money back, but not after Donald Trump screwed with the tax code.
Now my nephew owes, and the IRS is threatening, so my nephew decides to write this nasty letter directly to Donald Trump.

And to summarize how the Trump election has changed my Trump devoted family members, whom I pray for daily, well my nephew is now in the red with the IRS thanks to Donald Trump.
And his sister (my niece)...... also a huge Trump devotee now has her misgivings as well.
In this supposedly FANTASTIC Trump economy, as Trump puts it, the husband of my niece has lost his job of some 15 years.
Yes, his job was secure during all of the Obama administration, but it only took the election of Donald Trump to change all of that for my niece and her hubby.
No....
I'm gloating because my ignorant Trump loving family idiots refused to listen when I warded them, DO NOT TRUST DONALD TRUMP!!!!

Karma, that little lady can be quite the bitch.

Show him this pic for me will you?
1560337578744.png

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The IRS has released numbers on the tax cuts and the results are that American taxpayers paid $91 billion more in taxes in 2018 and corporations paid $93 billion less. The tax cuts are working exactly as the Republicans expected; the taxpayers pay more, corporations pay less and the debt grows by $1.40 for every dollar in tax cuts.

Feel that trickle-down yet? They're pissing on you and laughing all of the way to the bank.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
The IRS has released numbers on the tax cuts and the results are that American taxpayers paid $91 billion more in taxes in 2018 and corporations paid $93 billion less. The tax cuts are working exactly as the Republicans expected; the taxpayers pay more, corporations pay less and the debt grows by $1.40 for every dollar in tax cuts.

Feel that trickle-down yet? They're pissing on you and laughing all of the way to the bank.
Yes, they are.. The sad thing is that so many love the feel of warm piss on their faces.
1560341988713.png

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Now about my nephew....

No....

Encourage them to go public on their Facebook accounts etc. Spread the word.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Yum.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Re your nephew..

How is it that he had a huge house, lots of toys, a job in finance.... And can't pay a $4000 bill straight up?

Some of this story is being left out. Firstly, if they were making a ton of money - this barely would have impacted them, for mutliple reasons. Secondly, if they were living check to check - that's their own fault living beyond their means. Addtionally, as we keep being told by everyone, there was certainly no excuse that people didn't realize less taxes were being taken out all year ( i disagree with this, I was completely unaware of it). Yes, Trump screwed over the middle class, but this story is not a Trump issue, this is his nephew is an idiot issue and he's blaming Trump for his own failures (expecially with a finance degree???). If the left want to tout the truth, they need to actually tell the truth and not exaggerate what isn't actually happening. (both sides *colbert*)

I do find the tax numbers paid in 2018 very interesting and difficult to actually see what happened there. On the surface it does seem the rich paid less and everyone else paid more, but that isn't the whole story either. Most middle class DID pay less in taxes. I read a few articles about this but I don't recall what the findings were other than yes, most people paid less in tax - albeit it was a minor change. I believe it was that more people paid taxes than the previous year.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Re your nephew..

Sounds like he admires Donald Trump because he's the exact same type of "rich" person that Trump is.

meaning: not at all.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Some of this story is being left out. Firstly, if they were making a ton of money - this barely would have impacted them, for mutliple reasons. Secondly, if they were living check to check - that's their own fault living beyond their means. Addtionally, as we keep being told by everyone, there was certainly no excuse that people didn't realize less taxes were being taken out all year ( i disagree with this, I was completely unaware of it). Yes, Trump screwed over the middle class, but this story is not a Trump issue, this is his nephew is an idiot issue and he's blaming Trump for his own failures (expecially with a finance degree???). If the left want to tout the truth, they need to actually tell the truth and not exaggerate what isn't actually happening. (both sides *colbert*)

I do find the tax numbers paid in 2018 very interesting and difficult to actually see what happened there. On the surface it does seem the rich paid less and everyone else paid more, but that isn't the whole story either. Most middle class DID pay less in taxes. I read a few articles about this but I don't recall what the findings were other than yes, most people paid less in tax - albeit it was a minor change. I believe it was that more people paid taxes than the previous year.

lol.

Mar 11, 2004
Since you gave no context no idea which part you found funny , but don't do the usual tunnel vision and think that anything I'm stating is pro trump. Just calling it like it is.

I'm guessing maybe its the part where you claimed that the Democrats should be honest followed by #bothsides when Republicans have been rampantly dishonest and I'm not seeing what dishonesty you think you're pointing out on the side of Democrats/liberals. I don't see anyone saying the niece and her husband aren't idiots. I don't see anyone saying some people that aren't filthy rich didn't pay less taxes under the Republican tax bill. Most understand though that paying marginally less the first year is a very bad sign because we know that over the 10 years of this bill that taxes on those people are just going to increase, so we already know this tax bill is bad for the middle class. Yet the Republicans told everyone they'd be paying so much less taxes. And already a lot of people are paying more. But somehow its Democrats being dishonest? WTF?

Just wait until they get their other goal (of completely ditching refunds by making people figure out their taxes ahead of time so they don't get any extra taken out). I hear people just love to do math, especially figuring their taxes. They'll love it even more when they find out its to make sure they don't get any refund for the year.

Also, how the fuck is this not a Turmp issue? He's the asshole who signed this terrible tax bill. Its not solely a Turmp issue, but without him as President this bill doesn't get passed. Hell, I'd almost be willing to say that if it had been another Republican that isn't as rampantly dishonest, like say Mitt Romney, this tax bill wouldn't have been passed. Because people knew its bad and is just fucking over average tax paying Americans to benefit the wealthiest (person and corporations). Sure, most Republicans would still vote for it, but few will take ownership of it publicly. Which that will basically start almost immediately now that people got to see what the first year is like and knowing its only going to get worse from here. Couple that with the tax breaks for those rich and corporations leading to massive job cuts. But somehow the issue is just this idiot with his own personal finances. Democrats are #so dishonest!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm guessing maybe its the part where you claimed that the Democrats should be honest followed by #bothsides when Republicans have been rampantly dishonest and I'm not seeing what dishonesty you think you're pointing out on the side of Democrats/liberals. I don't see anyone saying the niece and her husband aren't idiots. I don't see anyone saying some people that aren't filthy rich didn't pay less taxes under the Republican tax bill. Most understand though that paying marginally less the first year is a very bad sign because we know that over the 10 years of this bill that taxes on those people are just going to increase, so we already know this tax bill is bad for the middle class. Yet the Republicans told everyone they'd be paying so much less taxes. And already a lot of people are paying more. But somehow its Democrats being dishonest? WTF?

Just wait until they get their other goal (of completely ditching refunds by making people figure out their taxes ahead of time so they don't get any extra taken out). I hear people just love to do math, especially figuring their taxes. They'll love it even more when they find out its to make sure they don't get any refund for the year.

Also, how the fuck is this not a Turmp issue? He's the asshole who signed this terrible tax bill. Its not solely a Turmp issue, but without him as President this bill doesn't get passed. Hell, I'd almost be willing to say that if it had been another Republican that isn't as rampantly dishonest, like say Mitt Romney, this tax bill wouldn't have been passed. Because people knew its bad and is just fucking over average tax paying Americans to benefit the wealthiest (person and corporations). Sure, most Republicans would still vote for it, but few will take ownership of it publicly. Which that will basically start almost immediately now that people got to see what the first year is like and knowing its only going to get worse from here. Couple that with the tax breaks for those rich and corporations leading to massive job cuts. But somehow the issue is just this idiot with his own personal finances. Democrats are #so dishonest!

It's not a Trump issue because this guy was bound for the same issues regardless of Trump. This guys problems are not the taxes - they are a symptom of his issues. The lie is trying to tie it to Trumps tax bill. The rest of your stuff is what we already knew long before this years taxes came around and I am in complete agreement with you on. You can be honest with yourself or you can justify everything through the 'well they do worse' lenses. (and to be fair I edited in that both sides comment because I knew it would get a rise out of people who think their echo chamber opinions are the only legit arguments and that there are no bad lefts).

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The GOP goes on an investor class looting spree of the Treasury & buys middle class complicity for peanuts.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
They'd steal flies from a blind spider.

How are you blue state urban folks making $150k year doing? It's been a couple months since you had to stroke a check to the Treasury for the extra taxes you said you'd happily pay. Have you recovered from the excitement of finally realizing your dream to pay more? Has the poor person you pass on the sidewalk personally thanked you yet?

Reactions: IJTSSG

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
How are you blue state urban folks making $150k year doing? It's been a couple months since you had to stroke a check to the Treasury for the extra taxes you said you'd happily pay. Have you recovered from the excitement of finally realizing your dream to pay more? Has the poor person you pass on the sidewalk personally thanked you yet?
I don't make that much now that I'm retired.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

We would happily pay them to help those less fortunate, not pay them to help those more fortunate. What's weird is how you continue to straw man people's position because you know if you represented it accurately it destroys your argument.

It's the dumb cousin of the 'if you think taxes should be higher send a check to the treasury!' line of argument.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

This was all good up until the point where you speculate that Romney would not have signed the bill. Every single GOP politician would have signed this bill given the chance. Is there even a single GOP politician who voted against it? Looks like 12 of them, and I bet most of them voted no because they are in blue states where the SALT changes would hurt so Ryan gave them a pass since he had a 23-vote cushion to play with. I mean, cutting taxes is the foundation of the GOP platform.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Billionaires like Trump, Bezos and the Koch brothers are thankful. Didn't they shower you with more money as a result?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Billionaires like Trump, Bezos and the Koch brothers are thankful. Didn't they shower you with more money as a result?

People making 6 figures in the cities still have plenty of money to take for Uncle Sam to take for redistribution and there's way, way more of them than there are Trumps and Koches. Pointing to them and saying "but I meant that rich guy, not me!" gains you no sympathy.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
People making 6 figures in the cities still have plenty of money to take for Uncle Sam to take for redistribution and there's way, way more of them than there are Trumps and Koches. Pointing to them and saying "but I meant that rich guy, not me!" gains you no sympathy.
Who said I'm looking for sympathy? I got a tax cut. I'd prefer the taxes I pay be used to help people worse off than me rather than Trump. You clearly prefer your tax money to go into Trump's pocket.

Reactions: Bitek

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Who said I'm looking for sympathy? I got a tax cut. I'd prefer the taxes I pay be used to help people worse off than me rather than Trump. You clearly prefer your tax money to go into Trump's pocket.

Who pays taxes and how much isn't linked to how those taxes are spent. I thought someone smart as you would realize that just like alimony payments you don't have control over the money once that check is cashed. Your side asked for higher taxes and deserved to get them good and hard so this is a win-win.