How's that tax cut working out?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did the "tax cut" help or hurt you?

• Tax Rate Went Up - Income $0-50K

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $51-100K

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $101-200K

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Tax Rate Went Up - Income $200K+

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $0-50K

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $51-100K

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $101-200K

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Tax Rate Went Down - Income $200K+

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Guys, I updated my post. I wasn't thinking when I put it all together, I only saved about $350... for some reason I did better on state taxes this time around.

At any rate, that's still better. So...

It ain't shit. If that's all it takes for you to sell out you're no smarter than I figured.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I gave the cuts a bit too much credit, I'm doing about $350 better from the cuts. It is something, but certainly not impactful.

What a surprise.. you got a cookie while the billionaires and corporations ran away with smiles from ear to ear committing highway robbery.

And if you remember.. middle class tax cuts have an expiry date while theirs do not!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It ain't shit. If that's all it takes for you to sell out you're no smarter than I figured.

What a surprise.. you got a cookie while the billionaires and corporations ran away with smiles from ear to ear committing highway robbery.

And if you remember.. middle class tax cuts have an expiry date while theirs do not!

I got more money that I earned than I would have otherwise. The economy is stronger, consumer confidence is up, growth up, wages are up, etc. etc. You can downplay it all you want guys. :)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I got more money that I earned than I would have otherwise. The economy is stronger, consumer confidence is up, growth up, wages are up, etc. etc. You can downplay it all you want guys. :)

So, uhh, you're attributing that to massive tax cuts for the wealthy & pissant tax cuts for some in the middle class?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Been that way for a while.. Thanks Obama!

Reactions: Jimzz

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I fall into the $51k-$100k bracket of the poll.

Also, I am comparing to 2016, I share custody of my child with his mother and I alternate years for claiming him as a dependent, I claimed my child for 2015, 2017, etc. But, I don't believe there were significant changes between 2016 and 2017, so don't think there'd be a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.

so you make $50,900 and have to pay for a child that you can't afford because baby momma left you due to being an impossible "human" to tolerate, yet Trump has made your life better for you.

lol.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Hey I can cherry pick data too! The top 1% has been paying a higher majority of all revenue collected since 1980. Isnt that your goal? To collect more of their money? Well guess what Sparky we've been doing that for 30 years!

TaxShareTop1Bottom90_0.png

https://taxfoundation.org/top-1-percent-pays-more-taxes-bottom-90-percent/

Lol. Your data helps make his point! Way to go dumb ass!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
so you make $50,900 and have to pay for a child that you can't afford because baby momma left you due to being an impossible "human" to tolerate, yet Trump has made your life better for you.

lol.

Nope, I'm closer to the top of that range than the bottom and we don't pay anything to each other, our son has two decent parents that work and show him that it is better for him to contribute than play the victim no matter how hard the left tries to brainwash him into thinking that way, even though he's a minority (his mother is Filipino). You should be thankful, it is people like us that contribute and make the system work while people like you just complain and have your hand out.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Right. It’s important to remember that this is a long term tax INCREASE for regular people, all so that rich people can get even more money.

It was really the worst piece of tax legislation in US history and people like Spidey are too emotionally invested in Trump to realize he’s picking their pocket.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Right. It’s important to remember that this is a long term tax INCREASE for regular people, all so that rich people can get even more money.

It was really the worst piece of tax legislation in US history and people like Spidey are too emotionally invested in Trump to realize he’s picking their pocket.
I'm not sure invested is the right word. stupid, yes, he just doesn't know he being used by the right.

once his taxes start rising in a few years, those that pushed this through will be out of office and will not have to face the consequences.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Got my coffee, turbotax fired up, taking one last look to see if I can trim anything else off before I hit the submit button. Donny got exactly $8.00 out of me! :D

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So, I finalized my return today and Trump was right again. Despite the lies here, I as a middle class filer got about $800 more this year.*

*I was not thinking, I factored my state return into that number. I gave the cuts a bit too much credit, I'm doing about $350 better from the cuts. It is something, but certainly not impactful.

Of course it was "not impactful"--we've been saying that all along. This tax cut was a gift to billionaires...and at what cost? Two years ago everyone was making fun of (Pelosi?) for saying the tax cut amounted to "crumbs" for the vast majority of tax payers. She was right. I don't understand how billionaires buy your votes so cheaply...and then you people complain about Democrats "pandering".

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Of course it was "not impactful"--we've been saying that all along. This tax cut was a gift to billionaires...and at what cost? Two years ago everyone was making fun of (Pelosi?) for saying the tax cut amounted to "crumbs" for the vast majority of tax payers. She was right. I don't understand how billionaires buy your votes so cheaply...and then you people complain about Democrats "pandering".

I'd like more, sure. But I'm happy to keep more of what I've earned, tax revenues are up year over year even with the cuts, and the economy is thriving under Trump. Before the election all I heard from the left was how Trump would crash the economy, not one of them said the economy would do better under him that I saw. And look here, the economy is strong and I'm keeping more of the money I earned. If you guys stopped putting partisanism over America, you'd see this too.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'd like more, sure. But I'm happy to keep more of what I've earned, tax revenues are up year over year even with the cuts, and the economy is thriving under Trump. Before the election all I heard from the left was how Trump would crash the economy, not one of them said the economy would do better under him that I saw. And look here, the economy is strong and I'm keeping more of the money I earned. If you guys stopped putting partisanism over America, you'd see this too.

You say this without a hint of irony while Trump is actively seeking to postpone Fed rate hikes until after the election.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You say this without a hint of irony while Trump is actively seeking to postpone Fed rate hikes until after the election.

Fed rates tend to be reactive to the conditions at the time. And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the rate ticked up under Trump / the last few years?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Let's see... if the top 1 percent paid themselves less then their share of the taxes collected would be lower, right? Just like they were in 1980. Now take that money they didn't pay themselves and instead pay it out to the bottom 90 percent. Guess what would happen next, Sparky? That bottom 90% line would move right back up to where it was back in 1980. That sure would fix a lot of shit, wouldn't it?

Saint Ronaldus Reagan's tax cuts made this all possible.

Uh, please show your math on this incredible distribution plan.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It would be pretty hard to crash the world's largest economy in 4 years, let alone 2, especially considering how ineffective Trump has been at getting any of his policies through Congress. The tax cut was never predicted to crash the economy. It was predicted to raise the deficit, which it has done. It also leaves us in weaker position to start stimulus again the next time a recession rolls around.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm not sure invested is the right word. stupid, yes, he just doesn't know he being used by the right.

once his taxes start rising in a few years, those that pushed this through will be out of office and will not have to face the consequences.

Oh he knows. He often gloats about it until they do something so reprehensible that even he can't defend it and then runs off until he feels he's needed to spin some other bullshit for them. That's the most absurd aspect, he's willing to do for free what other people will only do for lots of money, but he thinks he's enriching himself by doing it when he's just enriching others. And then he blames Democrats for it.

Mar 11, 2004
It would be pretty hard to crash the world's largest economy in 4 years, let alone 2, especially considering how ineffective Trump has been at getting any of his policies through Congress. The tax cut was never predicted to crash the economy. It was predicted to raise the deficit, which it has done. It also leaves us in weaker position to start stimulus again the next time a recession rolls around.

The economic crash tends to take a little while to develop (as seen with the same behavior during the Bush Administration that was directly responsible for the Great Recession).

There's a good reason why they set their tax bill up the way they did, where in 10 years it comes due (so if Turmp got two terms, it'd be right in the middle of an almost guaranteed Democrat President's term following his, or if a Democrat wins, it'd blow up in their second term, or if its a Republican back in they can blame it on the Democrat).

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I had to revive this thread after something my nephew did.
MY NEPHEW..... a HUGE Trump supporter ""HUGE"", and his sister (my niece) also a HUGE Trump supporter.
Well, my nephew the Donald Trump diehard devoted supporter decided to write a nasty letter directly to his leader, Donald Trump.
A nasty letter after my nephew came up owing over $4000 to the IRS because of that Trump tax scam, whoops, tax plan. ;)
Actually, my nephew got the bad news back in April, and was dealing with the IRS on a payment plan.
Then just this week, the IRS informed my nephew they (the IRS) would take his bank account and his property because the repayment plan had now been declined.
Now about my nephew....
He is a hard head. Loves to argue. Never admits a defeat in any argument. In other words, he's always right. You know the kind....
And he does pretty good. Has a huge house on a 16 acres of land. Works in financial services. Has a college degree in financial services. His three kids have all the toys, including their own ATV to ride around the 16 acres.
He usually got money back, but not after Donald Trump screwed with the tax code.
Now my nephew owes, and the IRS is threatening, so my nephew decides to write this nasty letter directly to Donald Trump.

And to summarize how the Trump election has changed my Trump devoted family members, whom I pray for daily, well my nephew is now in the red with the IRS thanks to Donald Trump.
And his sister (my niece)...... also a huge Trump devotee now has her misgivings as well.
In this supposedly FANTASTIC Trump economy, as Trump puts it, the husband of my niece has lost his job of some 15 years.
Yes, his job was secure during all of the Obama administration, but it only took the election of Donald Trump to change all of that for my niece and her hubby.
So lucky Donald scored two hits in one, my niece and my nephew.
So.... hows that tax cut working out you ask? ;)
Well, just don't ask my nephew. Or my niece.
I'm not gloating that their undying trust in Donald Trump has petered out.
No....
I'm gloating because my ignorant Trump loving family idiots refused to listen when I warded them, DO NOT TRUST DONALD TRUMP!!!!
I warned, and they would not listen.
SO now they write nasty letters, and look for employment at the age of 55.
Morons.... what is a guy to do???

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
MY NEPHEW..... a HUGE Trump supporter ""HUGE"", and his sister (my niece) also a HUGE Trump supporter.
Well, my nephew the Donald Trump diehard devoted supporter decided to write a nasty letter directly to his leader, Donald Trump.
A nasty letter after my nephew came up owing over $4000 to the IRS because of that Trump tax scam, whoops, tax plan. ;)
Actually, my nephew got the bad news back in April, and was dealing with the IRS on a payment plan.
Then just this week, the IRS informed my nephew they (the IRS) would take his bank account and his property because the repayment plan had now been declined.
Now about my nephew....
He is a hard head. Loves to argue. Never admits a defeat in any argument. In other words, he's always right. You know the kind....
And he does pretty good. Has a huge house on a 16 acres of land. Works in financial services. Has a college degree in financial services. His three kids have all the toys, including their own ATV to ride around the 16 acres.
He usually got money back, but not after Donald Trump screwed with the tax code.
Now my nephew owes, and the IRS is threatening, so my nephew decides to write this nasty letter directly to Donald Trump.

And to summarize how the Trump election has changed my Trump devoted family members, whom I pray for daily, well my nephew is now in the red with the IRS thanks to Donald Trump.
And his sister (my niece)...... also a huge Trump devotee now has her misgivings as well.
In this supposedly FANTASTIC Trump economy, as Trump puts it, the husband of my niece has lost his job of some 15 years.
Yes, his job was secure during all of the Obama administration, but it only took the election of Donald Trump to change all of that for my niece and her hubby.
No....
I'm gloating because my ignorant Trump loving family idiots refused to listen when I warded them, DO NOT TRUST DONALD TRUMP!!!!
laugh in their faces? I know I shouldn't but it is soooooo tempting.

and one reason for this is the admin had the IRS manipulate the withholdings to INCREASE the paycheck and thus lower what they pay-in so the had to pay this year. talk about your unintended consequences.

My GF works in the tax business and knew what was happening and advised me to adjust my withholding so I wouldn't owe anything.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Now about my nephew....

No....
If a $4000 bill can break your nephew he isn't doing well, he is living well beyond his means. Not that I am surprised to hear someone dumb enough to like Trump is also dumb enough to live well beyond their means.