hows deus ex?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
See: Amazing. I think you can get it on steam now or certainly from D2D. Download some of the user made updated texture packs for a touch of modernness.

DX2 = meh

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The best game ever. Deus Ex 2 is good, but definitely go for the original first, since there are quite a few problems with it. Excessive loading points, small maps, and bad combat AI are the main ones.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Deus Ex (uses the original Unreal Tournament engine) is a Sci-Fi FPS that incorporates many RPG elements. It is an excellent game, if you enjoy it then checkout Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (uses the half-life 2 steam engine). Both are available on steam.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
graphics can be dated, but stories and gameplay can't. :)

deus ex is arguably the best single player FPS in existence. *single player* :p

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
graphics can be dated, but stories and gameplay can't. :)

deus ex is arguably the best single player FPS in existence. *single player* :p

Agreed. The first is better, second has better graphics. I'm selling the 2nd if anyone's interested. (Never miss the opportunity to pimp your FS stuff :D)

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Dude!! Deus Ex is a killer game. FPS/RPG. Yes, the graphics are dated, but the story and ambiance is great. Good characters, decent voice acting and some fine, unique music that really helps to set the mood for the world.

Have fun!

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Deus Ex is a very fun, very well put together game. The amount of ways you can tackle one obstacle are amazing. I spent about three months playing the demo (I had no money for the game) because there were so many ways I could go through it. Also, your actions affect the story. You can also customize your character to have certain strengths. I had my speed augmentation at max, allowing me to circle the enemies with ease. :) My only real complaint with the game is that the Dragon's Tooth is too powerful.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Kazaam
is it worth playing now or are there much better games out? hows the sequel?

you've been here for 3 years and haven't seen the rabid fanboyism over this game?
accordign to AT, this is the best game ever created.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
accordign to AT, this is the best game ever created.

It is for people who are primarily FPS players. It shows that what they really want is a roleplaying game and playing games like Deus Ex and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines are good "stepping stones" for FPS players to come to action AD&D RPGs like IceWind Dale and then finally to classic cRPGs like Baldurs Gate 2 and PlaneScape: Torment, where action takes 2nd place to plot, dialog and character development / interaction when they want games that are completely different than what they are used to playing.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah, but those games don't have much action. :p The great thing about DX is that it has some of everything and can be played like a pure FPS if you want to do that.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are my favorite PC games ev4r!

I'd kill games like those made to be played in story mode with co-op multi player.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Yeah it can and while it's very fun it's still very clear and evidient that the maps and story progression were made with a single player in mind and having friends tag along is just a last minute hack.

I want to see games like that where the multi player co-op in story mode is built into the maps and into the story progression itself. Think playing Halflife 2 where some of the NPCs are other players when you you have to meet someone somewhere, you actually have to wait for the other players, split up to achieve different tasks, rejoin and fight together, etc.

Playing something like Metroid Prime in co-op where you both have to activate switches at the same time... or slipping a key through a drain to another player in Resident Evil, working together, etc.

Maps like the Spirit Temple in Ocarina of Time being solved by two players simultaneously (in game you have to go back and forth to different areas accessible only as young Link or adult Link exclusively) or having players in the "dark" and "light" world at the same time in the same spot leaving clues for each other to progress, etc...

Play a game set up like Deux Ex where one person has to sneak into the guys apartment to get info while another has to keep watch on the checkpoint, and you don't know which place the guy will be each game, etc.

I can see why nobody does it... easier to just copy and past the same 10 year old death match code into the multi player option and get your $59.99 game out the door.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has a co-op campaign with its own story and maps, although I never got around to trying it. It's supposed to be pretty good though.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
bump...how come the renderer doesnt work with the newest patch? since it doesnt...which is better: the patch or the renderer? ahh

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Deus Ex is my favorite game ever. I admittedly find it a bit hard to play these days with the blocky graphics, but once I get into it, it's great. Having the option of blowing a door open with a LAM, picking the lock, hacking the keypad, or using a security console to open it is just so cool.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Deus Ex is my favorite game ever. I admittedly find it a bit hard to play these days with the blocky graphics, but once I get into it, it's great. Having the option of blowing a door open with a LAM, picking the lock, hacking the keypad, or using a security console to open it is just so cool.

:thumbsup: i just got done with the level in the NSF basement. i got tired of trying to hack all of them so i just grabed all the TNT crates i could find and started blowing things up. not very subtle, but definately efficient.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Yep, that's my favorite way to do it too. I mean, who organizes a multi-story fortress with a central stairway that has TNT crates lying around on the upper floor unprotected? Right now I'm in Hong Kong and there are just so many hidden areas.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CP5670
Before you start playing, make sure you get the updates and stuff in this thread, especially the OGL renderer:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...key=y&keyword1=deus+ex

is this the best high res texture pack? and how and in what order in relation to the patch and the other fixes do i update this? and which renderer should i download?

bump...how come the renderer doesnt work with the newest patch? since it doesnt...which is better: the patch or the renderer? ahh

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The latest patch is 1.112fm, which works with all the rendering dlls there. Get the OpenGL 1.8 renderer. It improves performance dramatically over the stock renderer. The D3D8 one might also be good, but I've never tried it. You can put a custom resolution into the game in the deusex.ini file.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: exdeath
Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are my favorite PC games ev4r!

I'd kill games like those made to be played in story mode with co-op multi player.

QFT.

I get so immersed in these the gfx just don't matter. Although I do recommend getting the texture packs etc.

Best games ever.

Fern