Howard Dean: Florida will be seated

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
?We will absolutely seat the delegation from Florida at the convention. That is in everybody?s best interest. All of us are committed to make sure that happens,? said Dean, standing next to Florida?s party chair Karen Thurman and members of the state?s congressional delegation.

?We are confident enough that we have reserved hotel rooms for the delegates of Florida _ in Denver, as far as we know,? he said, prompting a roar of laughter from the group.

The announcement came after a closed-door meeting with the delegation. Dean said party members will now work with both Democratic presidential candidates to reach a compromise solution.

http://www.tallahassee.com/app...2/CAPITOLNEWS/80402008

I still don't see any details as to how they'll be seated or as to what happens with Michigan.
Any ideas?
I think it's now up to Clinton and Obama to sort it out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
They'll get seated after the outcome has already been determined. Remember that Dean has also said that he wanted to see the ticket settled on BEFORE the convention.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
They'll get seated after the outcome has already been determined. Remember that Dean has also said that he wanted to see the ticket settled on BEFORE the convention.

Yes, but knowing that Florida will be seated will effect the outcome of that settlement, because Florida delegates will be counted in the unofficial tally.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp

Yes, but knowing that Florida will be seated will effect the outcome of that settlement, because Florida delegates will be counted in the unofficial tally.

I agree with Vic, and this is the answer to your question:

Dean said party members will now work with both Democratic presidential candidates to reach a compromise solution.

To imply otherwise is to suggest a coup by the DNC in Hillary's favor.

In any case, Dean needs to be careful. Give Hillary an inch and she takes a mile, he's playing with fire. E.g., they're gonna demand the popular vote count be respected as well and then say that's more important than delegates won etc.

Fern

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

How MI is handled, how this effects the total delegate count available, and how they "seat" these delegates will be very interesting stories to see developed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

I agree with Vic, and this is the answer to your question:

Dean said party members will now work with both Democratic presidential candidates to reach a compromise solution.

To imply otherwise is to suggest a coup by the DNC in Hillary's favor.

In any case, Dean needs to be careful. Give Hillary an inch and she takes a mile, he's playing with fire. E.g., they're gonna demand the popular vote count be respected as well and then say that's more important than delegates won etc.

Fern

She doesn't have to make that case to Dean, just the superdelegates. And they are free to take anything they want into account when making their decision, since they are not bound to the pledged delegates, popular vote, how their state voted, or anything else.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What a joke. They break the rules, are given plenty of warning, and then Hillary whines about it enough that they get accepted anyway. When her loss is clinched, it will be all the harder for her and these dying breaths all the more painful to feel when she finally concedes.

I see no gain to this. She's still going to lose, but let's say she didn't. Let's say that due to rule bending, she gets the nod. What will that say to moderates? What will Obama followers, who otherwise won do then? They whined about how they won in 2000 against Bush, when in fact by the rules clearly established they did not win. Will they see the irony here?

If anybody can lose an election it's the dems. God's sake, this one is more of a shoe in than '04 and yet the chances of them somehow losing seem quite real.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It seems to me that the telling line in the OP's post is---The announcement came after a closed-door meeting with the delegation. Dean said party members will now work with both Democratic presidential candidates to reach a compromise solution.

Until the Florida delegation really starts with Hillary and Obama, its very hard to speculate about even what ideas will be floated, and even harder to comment on how fair it will be. Personally I thought the previous Dean idea of all super delegates committing before July one had a certain wisdom and common sense to it. Its what party chairmen are supposed to do to keep the party united.

So my comment is that only time will tell in the end.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
She doesn't have to make that case to Dean, just the superdelegates. And they are free to take anything they want into account when making their decision, since they are not bound to the pledged delegates, popular vote, how their state voted, or anything else.

I agree, I understand that. I'm suggesting Deans' word's/actions , even if unintentional on his part, might be used as support for her nomination. E.g., He should n't be seen as supporting Hillary's contention that the popular vote etc is more important tha delegates. IMO, the head of the DNC should not be seen as invalding the official process for a "new one" that hapens to be convenient for one candidate.

He is supposed to conduct his official duties in an impartial way.

Given the FL/MI debacle, lackluster fundraising by the DNC (which may not be entirely his fault), and some "light" flip-flopping on a nomination deadline he needs to be careful with the steps he takes from here on out. If not, he's gonna be subject to some serious critism about his role as DNC chairman.

Fern

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
They whined about how they won in 2000 against Bush, when in fact by the rules clearly established they did not win.
An tally found that if all counties were manually recounted, Gore was the winner. The crooked 2000 election/appointment is a very complicated thing.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: superstition
They whined about how they won in 2000 against Bush, when in fact by the rules clearly established they did not win.
An tally found that if all counties were manually recounted, Gore was the winner. The crooked 2000 election/appointment is a very complicated thing.

Nope.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008

Nope.
I distinctly remembering this coming out in the news. This result was different from the others because it involved a manual recount of the entire state and included ballots with hanging/indented chads, etc. The article noted that Gore's strategy of only recounting heavily Democratic counties resulted in a Bush win.

The issue is that Kathryn Harris lied and delayed concerning the manual count. Florida law did provide for manual recounts and they had even been done before. We'll never know, conclusively, who really got the most votes in Florida because so many were discarded and left uncounted, despite Florida's high level of leeway given to determine the intent of the voter when counting.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Nope.
I distinctly remembering this coming out in the news. This result was different from the others because it involved a manual recount of the entire state and included ballots with hanging/indented chads, etc. The article noted that Gore's strategy of only recounting heavily Democratic counties resulted in a Bush win.

The issue is that Kathryn Harris lied and delayed concerning the manual count. Florida law did provide for manual recounts and they had even been done before. We'll never know, conclusively, who really got the most votes in Florida because so many were discarded and left uncounted, despite Florida's high level of leeway given to determine the intent of the voter when counting.

Several newspapers came to Florida and a recount was done throughout the State. It took over a month. The final results did not change the original outcome.

I lived outside Orlando at the time and the story was in the local newspaper for many weeks.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Link Just check there. There was nothing really conclusive.

The big report was done by the Miami herlad Tribune and they report Bush won the recount.

But all-in-all it just depends upon how/when ballots are counted; one corner, two corners, a dimple etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention that almost everyone forgets that the media called the FL polls closed one hour before true. This conerns only West FL, a heavily Repub area (military bases etc). Likely undermining repub vote totals.

The whole thing was a clusterfux and the MSM bears blame also.

Fern

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: woodie1

Nope.

Several newspapers came to Florida and a recount was done throughout the State. It took over a month. The final results did not change the original outcome.

I lived outside Orlando at the time and the story was in the local newspaper for many weeks.

LINK And yes I do realize the source.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
Link Just check there. There was nothing really conclusive.

The big report was done by the Miami herlad Tribune and they report Bush won the recount.

But all-in-all it just depends upon how/when ballots are counted; one corner, two corners, a dimple etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention that almost everyone forgets that the media called the FL polls closed one hour before true. This conerns only West FL, a heavily Repub area (military bases etc). Likely undermining repub vote totals.

The whole thing was a clusterfux and the MSM bears blame also.

Fern

The consortium recount showed that of all the ballots cast that were Florida legal, Gore won, and there is not a scintilla of doubt that the majority of voters in the state of Florida intended their vote for Gore.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
What did the republican vote have to do with the democratic convention?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
What a joke. They break the rules, are given plenty of warning, and then Hillary whines about it enough that they get accepted anyway. When her loss is clinched, it will be all the harder for her and these dying breaths all the more painful to feel when she finally concedes.

I see no gain to this. She's still going to lose, but let's say she didn't. Let's say that due to rule bending, she gets the nod. What will that say to moderates? What will Obama followers, who otherwise won do then? They whined about how they won in 2000 against Bush, when in fact by the rules clearly established they did not win. Will they see the irony here?

If anybody can lose an election it's the dems. God's sake, this one is more of a shoe in than '04 and yet the chances of them somehow losing seem quite real.

what's the DNC's counter to McCain running "why vote for Obama, he didn't care about your votes in February, he did everything in his power to prevent you from having a voice, and he'll go back to not caring about you after November." ads nonstop?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: RY62
?We will absolutely seat the delegation from Florida at the convention. That is in everybody?s best interest. All of us are committed to make sure that happens,? said Dean, standing next to Florida?s party chair Karen Thurman and members of the state?s congressional delegation.

?We are confident enough that we have reserved hotel rooms for the delegates of Florida _ in Denver, as far as we know,? he said, prompting a roar of laughter from the group.

The announcement came after a closed-door meeting with the delegation. Dean said party members will now work with both Democratic presidential candidates to reach a compromise solution.

http://www.tallahassee.com/app...2/CAPITOLNEWS/80402008

I still don't see any details as to how they'll be seated or as to what happens with Michigan.
Any ideas?
I think it's now up to Clinton and Obama to sort it out.

wtfbbq is w/this reversal?!

what happened to florida/michigan broke the rules and should be punished?!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
How can you count delegates from a vote that everyone understood would not count? That is just plain undemocratic.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Maybe Florida should secede? It would makes things a lot simpler. I've heard Mugabe is looking for a job.