How would you invest 60k right now?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Hmmm another question. I am POA and executor of my brother's will. He has about $350k in his Vanguard 401k that is 60% stocks, 40% bonds. He was gravely ill, now he may stretch it out for weeks or months. I'm wondering if I should move it all into guaranteed interest to avoid any huge ups or downs in the near future. I have the ability to manipulate his finances as I see fit by the will, and his permission right now with access to his accounts. I'm nervous it may take a big hit, and I'd hate to lose a bunch. Ugh.
Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he is as comfortable as can be in his situation.

I don't see anything major happening to his bonds in the short term (next few weeks or months). But the stocks could certainly rise or fall. If you want to be ultraconservative, there is nothing wrong with a 20% stock and 80% bond/cash portfolio. By doing that, you'd have him cash in on the massive stock market gains that happened the last few years and can put it someplace safe. The 20% stocks is just in case his life stretches out longer than doctors think. Living longer than your money is a risk too.

Vanguard mutual funds VUSXX, VMFXX, and VMRXX are all paying ~5.28% interest right now. That probably pays the same if not more than his bonds and is far safer than his stocks. Consider moving a chunk of the stocks and bonds to one of those funds.

Last edited:
Reactions: nOOky