How would you feel if your 16hr intl flight was turned back to origin point because it was cheaper for the airline than landing at a nearby airport?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Australia to jfk, nonstop.
electrical problems developed at jfk that closed down terminal 1.

Instead of landing at a nearby airport (ie: Newark intl airport), the airline decided to turn the plan around at the half way point because it was cheaper.

Air New Zealand said Thursday in a statement to CNN Travel that “diverting to another US port would have meant the aircraft would remain on the ground for several days, impacting a number of other scheduled services and customers.”

Gottlieb, who lives in New York, spent eight hours at the airport in Auckland waiting for his next flight out to Los Angeles, where he was set to connect to JFK. Air New Zealand provided him with $100 worth of meal vouchers, but he didn’t have any luck buying his way into a loyalty club lounge to freshen up in Auckland. He hadn’t heard about other compensation at the time he communicated with CNN.

I agree with the airline's decision.
it's 1/2 way so you have the fuel to turn around.
but at least give the pax lounge access if they're rescheduled the same day. (airlines usually give free hotel if rescheduled for another day.)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
From a customer's perspective I'd much rather they diverted me to LA (where they have a base) instead of back to Auckland.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
They should be giving everyone more than $100 of meal vouchers IMO...

Reactions: KMFJD

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd be steaming no matter what their crappy BS excuse was and if I paid with a CC I'd be considering a chargeback for the price of the tickets.

Flights are diverted all the time without causing serious issue and the "hop" from Newark, Philly, Hartford or Boston back to JFK takes AT MOST 45 minutes or so.

Rinky-dink joke of an airline lying through their teeth and being caught with their pants down is the only real "problem" here IMO. Next time fly British Airways or Delta. (ie: an airline that's not short on aircraft!)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
I'd be pretty pissed, can't imagine how tired and sore I would be after spending 16 hours in an airplane seat, only to be back where I came from, knowing I have to go through all of that again the next day. It's time of my life I will never get back all because of the airline's poor planing and zero contingency. Also means that whatever vacation you were going to, you lost a day or more. A terminal being down seems like a piss poor excuse. Use another terminal. Arrange to squeeze in between two flights, do something! Maybe part of the issue is they shouldn't be running things on such thin margins if something this simple is not doable. They need to have more contingency with stuff like this.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd be pretty pissed, can't imagine how tired and sore I would be after spending 16 hours in an airplane seat, only to be back where I came from, knowing I have to go through all of that again the next day. It's time of my life I will never get back all because of the airline's poor planing and zero contingency. Also means that whatever vacation you were going to, you lost a day or more. A terminal being down seems like a piss poor excuse. Use another terminal. Arrange to squeeze in between two flights, do something! Maybe part of the issue is they shouldn't be running things on such thin margins if something this simple is not doable. They need to have more contingency with stuff like this.

Especially when the transfer-flight from Newark International takes about 15 minutes AND they do it all the time.... NY LGA in Queens is even closer. (but no customs)

Reactions: Red Squirrel

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I had 2 16 hour flights in the summer and i would have been pissed if they pulled that shit....i would have been livid if all they gave me was a 100 meal voucher

Jun 18, 2000
I'd be pissed, like any rational person. Screw the airlines. Nowhere in my internal calculus would I give a shit that it saves them money by turning around.

Dec 10, 2005
I understand why the airline did it, but it is really shitty. I guess with so many diversions on the east coast, it wouldn't be easy to slot into a nearby airport, and then the lack of ground crew would make it even more problematic. But then why not divert to a west coast airport where you have operations?

Does remind me a bit of the time I took a flight from Chicago to Chicago. A little over halfway into the flight, they announced that LaGuardia was being closed because of inclement weather, and since we would need to divert before they opened it back up, they diverted us back to Chicago. Definitely not as bad as a 16 hour flight to the same airport!

ASK THE COMMUNITY