How would you approach this situation?

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
I'm considering buying a used laptop. Yesterday I made an offer of $600, for the specs provided at the time of the initial interest check, which included two 100GB hard drives.

I emailed the seller yesterday with my offer, he replied saying it is still available, but he has replaced the primary 100GB with a 7GB drive. Yes, an old IBM 6.7GB OS drive.

Obviously I'm not crazy about that, so the way I see it I have three options (see poll):

1) Stick with my offer of $600, it's still a good deal
2) Ask for a few bucks knocked off since I'm losing out on a lot of GBs
3) Just walk away and let him find another buyer

Please, give me your opinions.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
discount for the drive or walk away.

what are the specs anyway?

you can get a pretty decent dell vostro laptop for about $600. even if not the dell, there are plenty of laptops for $600.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Walk away before he replaces the laptop with a phone book.

Unless you need a $600 phone book or a broken laptop.

If the seller is now screwing you on the deal and it isn't even done yet, why risk it?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Find out how much a replacement drive would cost and deduct that amount form your offer. Then pay by CC so if it's a scam, you can just dispute the charge.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Find out how much a replacement drive would cost and deduct that amount form your offer. Then pay by CC so if it's a scam, you can just dispute the charge.

The CC is a good idea. A comparable drive goes for about $50, but he did have someone before me offering $550.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
Walk away before he replaces the laptop with a phone book.

Unless you need a $600 phone book or a broken laptop.

If the seller is now screwing you on the deal and it isn't even done yet, why risk it?

good point. walk away.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
You can get a pretty decent laptop new for $600 these days. Probably not a gaming monster, but still really nice. Might want to check around new for that price.