How would u do this Physics Problem?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
You accidentally throw your car keys horizontally at 8.0 m/s from a cliff 64m high. How far from the base of the cliff should you look for the keys?

How do u do it?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Find how long it takes something to fall 64m.

Multiply that number (in seconds) by 8.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
you use kinematic equations of motion.

have you written out all of your knowns and unknowns? have you written out your equations? there's only 5 of them that you have to work with. learn how to use two equations and two unknowns.

i know someone else is going to go and solve it for you, but i really wish they wouldn't. that's not the way to learn how to solve problems yourself.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
64 is the 2nd derivative of the acceleration iirc

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Aimster
Okay thanks guys I got it!

Yes, because we gave you the answer. Could you do it on a test? Could you do it if the keys were thrown at a 32 degree angle? Could you do it if you were throwing the keys up to a cliff 64 m high?

I'm not trying to attack you, I just don't like how people on here are so ready to just give up the answer, instead of trying to help you learn to do it yourself.

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph

Yes, because we gave you the answer. Could you do it on a test? Could you do it if the keys were thrown at a 32 degree angle? Could you do it if you were throwing the keys up to a cliff 64 m high?

I'm not trying to attack you, I just don't like how people on here are so ready to just give up the answer, instead of trying to help you learn to do it yourself.

i like green eggs and ham.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph

Yeah, Aimster!

Someday in real life you are going to accidentally throw your car keys horizontally at 8.0 m/s from a cliff 64m high and you won't have the faintest idea where to look for them and you'll probably starve in the desert.