How would the major religions be affected by the discovery of life on Mars?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Some major religions have already accepted the likelihood that God created life on other planets (Catholicism for example).

Catholism's lead is null and void in my opinion.
1) They have already screwed plenty with Biblical teachings.
2) They have accepted just about every popular idea that comes along. They're a feel-good religion.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: matt426malm

Your online persona can not be what you actually think, got to be some sort of joke. Ha,ha. NO ONE can be serious about the stuff you talk about.

When we say life on Mars we are talking about bacteria stuff like that. No one is expecting little green men.

Sorry to say this is not a joke. I sure do laugh about it though :) You gotta be crazy when you know the end of the world is coming any day ;)

Just believe in the last days and don't give props to the devil.

Matt, you'd be suprised at how many people believe this stuff. I do.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Some major religions have already accepted the likelihood that God created life on other planets (Catholicism for example).

2) They have accepted just about every popular idea that comes along. They're a feel-good religion.

3) <insert priest/boy sex joke here>

thats all

im up for life on other planets if they can cook, or have lightsabers. bacteria...this does not interest me

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: xSauronx

thats all

im up for life on other planets if they can cook, or have lightsabers. bacteria...this does not interest me

or if they have ewoks. those things would make such great pets.

they were underrated in the movies
:D

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

Your online persona can not be what you actually think, got to be some sort of joke. Ha,ha. NO ONE can be serious about the stuff you talk about.

When we say life on Mars we are talking about bacteria stuff like that. No one is expecting little green men.

Sorry to say this is not a joke. I sure do laugh about it though :) You gotta be crazy when you know the end of the world is coming any day ;)

Just believe in the last days and don't give props to the devil.

Matt, you'd be suprised at how many people believe this stuff. I do.

"My theory on all this is that it's just part of the deception of the end times spoken of in Revelation. I think mankind will be fooled into believing that life was created by Martians and that aliens will come to live among us. Of course, these aliens will in fact, be demons but who cares about small things like that?"

nuff said. I'm convinced this is some parody-joke-sarcasm-whatever. which is fine thats the beauty of the internet.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Well, I agree with you there.
The OP just asked how "the major religions would be affected by the discovery of life on Mars" and Catholicism is still considered a major religion.
Otherwise, I base my Christian beliefs off the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels, and not some (IMO) evil and corrupted church.

To the naysayers: People, faith does NOT mean seeing reality and trying to deny it or explain it away. Faith means seeing reality and saying "Great and mighty are the works of Almighty God!" If those works were to include life of Mars, then so be it.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Biblically, there is nothing that rules out life on other planets. I personally don't believe there is, but it wouldn't shake my belief in Jesus as the Christ if there was.

Compare it to several hundred years ago, religious/Christian people realizing there was human life on other continents. I hope that if we ever did discover life on other planets we'd treat it much more humanely than we have in comprable situations in the past.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

"My theory on all this is that it's just part of the deception of the end times spoken of in Revelation. I think mankind will be fooled into believing that life was created by Martians and that aliens will come to live among us. Of course, these aliens will in fact, be demons but who cares about small things like that?"

nuff said. I'm convinced this is some parody-joke-sarcasm-whatever. which is fine thats the beauty of the internet.

It's funny that some people think I'm kidding :)

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
God killed all the Martians for driving SUVs.

Noah's ark actually had warp and impulse capabilities. He drove a civic, but he gave up that life to bring all the animals to Earth.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

It's funny that some people think I'm kidding :)

Yeah seriously, you got a PM, I hope you're serious and not just trolling about this stuff.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can see it now....Martian Sex Cults memememememe a cookie to the first person that can spot that movie reference......hint sort of like ET

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
no matter what, Christians woudl come up with something to interpret the bible to change teh view of t hings

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
Biblically, there is nothing that rules out life on other planets. I personally don't believe there is, but it wouldn't shake my belief in Jesus as the Christ if there was.

Compare it to several hundred years ago, religious/Christian people realizing there was human life on other continents. I hope that if we ever did discover life on other planets we'd treat it much more humanely than we have in comprable situations in the past.

Reminds me of the story about the scientists saying, "Oh, any alien civilization with the power to cross such vast distances would surely be peaceful."

Now picture a couple of Native Americans saying that when they spot a ship arriving from a voyage across the ocean.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I don't think anything in Christianity says there can't be life on other planets.

God made quintillions of stars, why couldn't he make more than one planet with life on it?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001

thats all

As long as these critters don't exist for real eh? :p

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Some would have trouble with it, especially if that life was significantly different from life on Earth, which would add to the Evolution side of the origins debate. Most religions/religious would eventually accept the fact that life exists elsewhere without affecting their faith. As others have already said, the Bible doesn't specifiy one way or another as to the possibility, it's been peoples interpretations that have stated various things.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
*IF* we find any evidence of life having existed on Mars, it will be well after we're all turned to dust, well past having rotted in our graves.

Let our great-great-great-great-great-great-greatgrandchildren duke it out ;)

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
I'm more interested in how the major religions would be affected by the discovery of intelligent life here on earth :(

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
If it were discovered that there were little green men living in the center of this planet, they'd find some way to reinterpret the bible to cover it.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1

thats all

As long as these critters don't exist for real eh? :p

"It has four openings, and three extrusions, making it compatible for male or female pleasure. " :Q
man is that funny

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
I know how I would explain it...

"God realized how bad he fvcked up here and is starting over on Mars..." :D

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I find it ironic that human beings look outside themselves for meaning. Why are we so terrified of what lies inside the depths of our Soul?