How would I set up a screensaver and wallpaper so I can't be changed in win98?

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
I want to mess with some folks up at work. I can't figure out how to set a screensaver and desktop and not allow them to change it. Any help?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Other than some SERIOUS programming skills (that would probably have you in a job MUCH better than where you are), it's not possible without an external influence. Therefore, you've got to find some cheap-ass software that allows an admin to delegate privilages to the user. You'd probably have to set it up as an auto-login as well.

Either way, I hope you have some time on your hands...

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
That's what I was figuring. It couldn't possibly be easy. I am not dealing with computer literate people, so I have been able to set the file that has the data for the scrolling marquee and 3d text to read only so they cant change it. But they are able to just change it to another screensaver. i was hoping there was something I was missing, some setting I didn't know about.

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How about moving the *.scr files to a different folder except for the one you have set.

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
Thanks prodigy69, I was going to save moving files as last resort but thats probably what I will end up doing. I just have to remember what I do with them.:)

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
ffmcobalt, looks like we were thinking the same thing but you beat me to the post. Thanks

Replevin

Nov 2, 2000
I haven't tried it, but maybe in addition to moving/deleting all the other screensavers you could make multiple copies of the one you want to lock in and rename them to match the other familiar ones.

Of course, they would still be able to choose "none" or download new ones.

jkdude

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
of course, you know what moving all the other *.scr leaves ya?

they can always set their screen-saver to NONE, and not have any at all!

or suspend mode as well...

Vaneleus

Oct 7, 2000
Hey, thanks everybody.

Prodigy69, I just want to piss this girl off, by putting some wallpaper she hates and a screensaver saying she's an ass. Not being able to change it would really piss her off I am sure. I am at work now, but I can't mess wit her computer until she leaves at about 6.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
rename user.dat to user.man

that should make the settings mandatory after you configured them.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
rename user.dat to user.man
I thought that is only for NT.
Anyway, I think there are H-Keys in the registry that you can set.
Or when she step away from the pc, just run over to her pc set the screen saver, disable the left mouse click and delete the display settings in the control panel. That will stall her for a while.