Question How would I pair a Dedicated GPU with an APU Ryzen 5 2400g

IseNoseee

Jun 17, 2018
Is there any step by step installing?? Like should I install the graphics card onto the motherboard boot up the Pc and wait for the CPU to recognize the GPU and start using it??

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Nothing special really needs to be done if adding an AMD GPU. Typically I keep the monitor on the integrated GPU, install the new discrete GPU, boot up, install drivers, and then move the monitor over to the discrete GPU. Some boards want you to disable the integrated GPU, but I have personally only seen this with Intel chipsets (My current gaming box had to have this done).

Now where things can get tricky is if you are wanting an nVidia GPU. Then the integrated GPU may have to be disabled in EFI, and the AMD GPU drivers uninstalled.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
It's really not tricky at all, regardless of what video card you choose. Toss it in the board, plug it in, toss the power cable on it, boot into windows, use program of choice to uninstall drivers, install new drivers and you are set. Then you can move on to overclocking it :)

IseNoseee

Jun 17, 2018
Nothing special really needs to be done if adding an AMD GPU. Typically I keep the monitor on the integrated GPU, install the new discrete GPU, boot up, install drivers, and then move the monitor over to the discrete GPU. Some boards want you to disable the integrated GPU, but I have personally only seen this with Intel chipsets (My current gaming box had to have this done).

Now where things can get tricky is if you are wanting an nVidia GPU. Then the integrated GPU may have to be disabled in EFI, and the AMD GPU drivers uninstalled.
Oh, thanks. The gpu i'll be buying is a RX 580. So the only thing i'll have to do is, install the discrete gpu, boot up pc, intall rx 580 drivers then turn off pc and move the monitor cable onto the dgpu and boot up? -Edited- I've done some research and the rx 580 doesn't have a vga port and my main monitor only has vga port, so will it be compatible??

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
You'll have to buy an adapter or a new monitor. You could also buy a different card but VGA ports aren't really available on the vast majority (all?) modern gaming cards.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Oh, thanks. The gpu i'll be buying is a RX 580. So the only thing i'll have to do is, install the discrete gpu, boot up pc, intall rx 580 drivers then turn off pc and move the monitor cable onto the dgpu and boot up? -Edited- I've done some research and the rx 580 doesn't have a vga port and my main monitor only has vga port, so will it be compatible??
You may want to consider getting a new display in addiction to the dGPU you are getting. What resolution are you currently using?