How would I make this? ( Webpage program thingy. )

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Hey, heres the thing I recently compiled a list of different things for a card game. ( WA!, kinda like Magic but its wrestling :D! ) Anyway what I was gonna do is make an app that would sort the cards by different attributes ( ie. You click cost, it sorts by cost, etc ) But then I thought I could build a webpage to do this. Problem is a have very limited ( read: some halfass thrown together page ) in building web pages. I do however have some basic programming experience. So I ask you, how would I do this? I don't even know where to start! What would a use, JAVA? Let me know, thanks!

Suppafly

Jan 11, 2001
if you want it to work on webpages probably use java or some weird combination of javascript and html.. you could prob whip something out in VB if you dont care about having it web related..

spwango

Mar 7, 2001
You'll want to use java servlets...they are a mechanism for dynamic html generation using Java. Since it uses Java, not only can you generate HTML (or script, for that matter), but you can also do anything else you can do with Java--interface with databases like MySql, automatic email, etc...very cool and very easy. You will want to check out http://jakarta.apache.org for the Tomcat servlet engine and Jason Hunter's Oreilly book, "Java Servlet Programming." If you can't install stuff on your web pages server, you will be limited to script...since script executes entirely on the client side, I'd be inclined to say it isn't worth your time...servlets on the server side are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Hope this helps,

spwango