how ****** would humankind be

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
I was just thinking... Euler pretty much made math. So hard to believe that so much of what we do wouldn't be so if it weren't for one guy.

Edited to remove profanity from thread title. Please don't put curse words in thread title.

AnandTech Senior Moderator
Compuwiz1

sigh.. 7k posts, and no linky?

who/what did Euler do exactly?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDI
I was just thinking... Euler pretty much made math. So hard to believe that so much of what we do wouldn't be so if it weren't for one guy.

Edited to remove profanity from thread title. Please don't put curse words in thread title.

Compuwiz1

Euler invented canola eul.

Nov 3, 2004

Compuwiz1

People should know who Euler is.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
we'd be much more ahead if 'discoveries' weren't wiped out along with their creators with each change of rulership to keep their subjects dumb.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
not all that screwed, actually.

Euler did great things, not doubt, but the greeks were not as big math geniuses as everyone seems to think. They accomplished a lot of things with geometry and logical proofs, but as for actual calculation their awful notation made all but the simplest equations nightmares to actually work.

There would have been someone else who would have come up with his geometric proofs between his time and Liebniz and Newton's time, and we wouldn't be any better or worse off than we are now.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

Euler did great things, not doubt, but the greeks were not as big math geniuses as everyone seems to think. They accomplished a lot of things with geometry and logical proofs, but as for actual calculation their awful notation made all but the simplest equations nightmares to actually work.

There would have been someone else who would have come up with his geometric proofs between his time and Liebniz and Newton's time, and we wouldn't be any better or worse off than we are now.

Uh, Euler wasn't Greek...

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

the timeline doesn't make sense... Euler came after Newton.

nineball9

Aug 10, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

lol! I enjoy math a lot and know a bit about Euler, but I still have a difficult time reading Euler's name and thinking "oiler" and not "youler". Perhaps it's because of the similarity in spelling to Euclid.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: nineball9
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

lol! I enjoy math a lot and know a bit about Euler, but I still have a difficult time reading Euler's name and thinking "oiler" and not "youler". Perhaps it's because of the similarity in spelling to Euclid.

In German the "eu" is always pronounced as English "oi". And in Ancient Greek "eu" is pronounced "ay-u", but all in one sound (it's a diphthong). So I guess you're sort of wrong on both counts. Of course the English pronunciation of "eu" is "yu", so I guess being wrong is relative here.

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Maybe the reason we don't already have faster-than-light engines and Mr. Fusion reactors is because Sir Billiam Dindlestadt III died at age 3.

Damn, knighted before he was 3 years old?! He was really on the fast track.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Compuwiz1

People should know who Euler is.

Why?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: VanTheMan
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Maybe the reason we don't already have faster-than-light engines and Mr. Fusion reactors is because Sir Billiam Dindlestadt III died at age 3.

Damn, knighted before he was 3 years old?! He was really on the fast track.
Exactly. That's just how great a person he was, but alas, he died in a tragic hair-removal accident, which set the world back nearly 700 years.
(I have friends in an alternate timeline - thanks to Dindlestadt's contributions there, it's possible to communicate laterally through time.)

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Sorry, but the science of math goes back much further than Euler. Aristotle discussed math more than 2300 years ago. But he's not the first, just one of the earliest notable subjects.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

Compuwiz1

I know what you mean, but I'd have to think someone else would have discovered his theories by now.