How would a Radeon outperform my Voodoo 3? (2nd try)

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The first time I started this thread, it was deleted, so I just start another.

I noticed some slowdowns in Colin McRae Rally 2 with my current system (see sig). I don't think it's the CPU, so it has to be the video card. Would a nice lil' Radeon 32DDR help me out? And is there still the problem with Trinitron monitors?

Thanx for any input.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
I don't have that game, but I went from a V3 3000 to a Radeon 64 meg, and the difference is significant in every game that I have (which is quite a few). As far as the Trinitron thing goes, I have one and never had the problem. The 7041 drivers do have a fix for it however.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
oldfart:

Thanx..... after my holidays.... I'll buy me the Radeon. Do you think I have to set up my computer new? I just did it 2 days ago.

[Edit]What kinda rig do you have anyway?[/Edit]

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Radeon should smoke the V3 in just about anything, cept maybe for a very few older Glide games.

The Radeon also has a very supperior feature set.

This is of course assuming you're not CPU limited, but with a 700 MHz TBird you shouldnt be(though I havent played Colin, but very few games would be CPU limited with that CPU).

And no you wont have to reinstall(I assume thats what you meant).
Just deinstall the old drivers, and install the new ones, and you'll be fine.

JMorton10

Aug 16, 2000
And is there still the problem with Trinitron monitors?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That only affects a small percentage of them.

I have a 64meg Radeon VIVO & a G500 Sony Trinitron & it works perfectly.

KT7-RAID, 1250mhz T-Bird, all scsi etc, etc..

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
dunno man, I've heard stories about this supposed Trinitron "problem" with a Radeon, and my buddies' Radeon 64MB looks AWESOME on his Sony monitor.

<shrugs>

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I have a viewsonic PF790...not a single problem. Image quality is insane; two of my GF2 ultra using friends just purchased Radeons after seeing mine on Deus Ex, UT, BGII (after patch), Thief II to name a few.