How will you people react when Obama doesn't withdraw troops?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The same thing pretty much with the Senate elections, a lot of big talk from the Dems about what they will due and of course we know their approval rating are almost as bad as Bush's. if Obama or even McCain wins, we will not see a withdraw and we will be there for years to come.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Nothing at all. Apathy rules!

edit: I misread the topic. I thought you were asking how people in general will react. I think people in general will be surprised, but won't do anything because americans are so apathetic.

Personally, I won't be surprised because like you and others around here, I know that he has no plans to withdraw..

Still not going to do anything because of the apathy thing though..

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I still say it may be a moot point.

The UN mandate expires at year end and right now looks like the Iraqi parliment may not approve an extension of US/coalition forces.

We could be leaving before the next President takes office.

Fern

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Sawyer
The same thing pretty much with the Senate elections, a lot of big talk from the Dems about what they will due and of course we know their approval rating are almost as bad as Bush's. if Obama or even McCain wins, we will not see a withdraw and we will be there for years to come.

All Obama needs to do is pursue a phased withdrawal and that would be a 1000% improvement over the current plan which is do to nothing at all but be there in Iraq indefinitely while we win the 'war on terror'. :roll:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
As an Obama supporter, I'm curious to see the reaction myself... I think I'm one of a very small number who realizes that a substantial number of our troops will stay in Iraq, for at least another 3-5 years, regardless of who wins the election.

Maybe it's too difficult for others to accept such a harsh truth... I dunno.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: Fern
I still say it may be a moot point.

The UN mandate expires at year end and right now looks like the Iraqi parliment may not approve an extension of US/coalition forces.

We could be leaving before the next President takes office.

Fern

Who's gonna make us?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre
I'm gonna make my sig even more bold than it already is.

I used to respect RP until I saw what they did at the WA state convention and how they operate in general. RP might be a good guy but his supporters fucking whacked.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I used to respect RP until I saw what they did at the WA state convention and how they operate in general. RP might be a good guy but his supporters fucking whacked.

Every candidates hardcore supporters are just as bad.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Agreed

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

No... this was ridiculously over the top. They were causing tons of problems. They had "agents" everywhere with walkie-talkies and ear pieces and while going over rules and party platform they were constantly interjecting, trying to amend and propose new rules. No problem with the last one except it was just extremely over the top.

EDIT: Back on topic now

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
What kind of time frame are you talking about? A day, week, year? What?

Personally, I will do what I can (letters, petitions, possibly marches) if he is elected and there isn't any reductions within the first 6-9 months.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
What will happen is that Obama supporters will become war apologists, they'll change their tune just as Obama does. Obama will have a "reason" for staying in Iraq longer, and his "reason" will become their "reason."

Same thing happens all the time. Bush voters supported, along with him, "no nation-building, a humble foreign policy," now they are ready to bomb Iran back to the stone age.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I agree, the blind supporters will become bumbling idiots. This is not be unique to Obama, every party/politician has this.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
As long as he gets them out before 2108, that's better than what McSame promised.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I thought you wanted them out now? You would be happy with that just because another full of shit politician has a date further out? Obama is just like McSame, another empty suit being controller by special interest groups.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I for one will never become an apologist for anything remotely related to this fiasco (Iraq). That doesn't mean that I am some peacenik who hates war (in general though I do) to the point that I can't see when it is sometimes necessary (Afghanistan).

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Good, apologists are one of the many things wrong with politics. All they want to do is turn a blind eye and point fingers.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
As long as he gets them out before 2108, that's better than what McSame promised.

lol. You are a walking case of hypocrisy.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: jpeyton

lol. You are a walking case of hypocrisy.
Quick: what do you call a Clinton supporter voting for McCain?