How were your grades for the semester/quarter?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
man up and start taking steps to get the grades

A - bioprocess engineering
A - separations process engineering
A - design I
A - intro to ancient egypt

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: roid450
Man, seeing all your guy' grades makes me wish i hadn't slacked off 98% of the time.

Keep in mind that people with higher grades will be more inclined to share.

I think my grades blow. Typical case of kid who could work high school and get As with no work making it out into the real world and realizing that RL is serious business. This semester was my wake up call. Here's my transcript:

<snip>

Starting to think I should reconsider the typical FOB parents dream of "my kid is a doctor/dentist"

Well, I withdrew from my first school before the semester ended. Then my next full year in school I had a 1.4 GPA. So it could be worse.

To put things in perspective, I started high school with a 4.3 GPA and graduated with a cumulative 2.8.

I started slacking when I was in 2nd grade, and it definitely did not pay off.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't want to go back to school...I enjoyed what I did for my career and made dammed good money at it, but sometimes life throws you some curveballs.

I got hurt at work, and the doctors have said I can never return to the wonderful world of construction. (bye-bye $35+/hr)

So, I went back to school (community college) in Jan 07 for the first time since I dropped out of high school 37 years before...it was fucking tough!

I had to take a couple of remedial courses to help me learn how to learn again, took English 50 to re-learn the "nuts & bolts" of proper writing technique, took a study skills class to teach me how to take effective notes and how to study productively, and I took Math 50 (business math) to refresh my math knowledge. (It also meets the minimum math requirement for graduation...not for transfer to a university, but at the time, that wasn't a consideration)

I tried to go back to school in Jan. 07 with 3 night classes, but got called to a shut-down at one of the Bay area refineries working 7-12's with a 4-5 hour commute. Needless to say, I had to drop school....well, I was able to drop 2 of the three anyway...the professor in the 3rd class called me during finals week and offered to let me take the final and said he'd base my grade on the work I had done and the final exam. I got a "B" for that class.

When I came back in Jan. 07, I busted my ass in all my classes as I re-adjusted to the rigors of full-time school. I'm ALMOST a straight A student.

Because my fingers have all been broken, jammed, and/or smashed at least once, my typing technique sucks...I can type between 60 and 70 wpm corrected, but my beginning keyboard instructor still gave me a "B" for that class...because of my technique. :roll:

Those 2 "B's" are the only grades on my transcripts (except for the 2 "W's from 97 that don't affect my GPA) that aren't "A's."

Like most schools, the MAX you can get is an "A" here, even when you earn an A+. Straight letter grades, no =/-.
That sucks because in many of my classes, I've been the overall points leader and scored well over 100% for the semester.

After 2 years and 6 semesters, (I have to go to school during Summer semester too) my GPA is 3.926...not too bad for an old high school drop out!

I gotta tell ya, it ain't easy going back to school at my age...it's dammed tough...but it can be done.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
A - Quantitative Methods II
A - Computer Modeling & Decision Analysis
A - World Regions
A - Marketing
B - Finance
C - Linear Algebra <----- misread the time for the final, got a zero, had an A before that.

3.59 for the semester, also since i'm a 3rd year transfer, my overall GPA (it's my first semester at this university, GPA gets wiped when you transfer). Missing the Linear Algebra final sucks doubly because of that-- I only have 3 semesters to dig myself out of the hole. Should have been a 3.83, instead it'll take me 2 semesters of straight As to get back to that mark, and I won't be able to break 3.9 like I was planning <_<.

Edit: Also, i HATE HATE HATE the new +/- system, I always end up skirting the 93-94% line.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
A- Japanese 2, 1st quarter
B Intro to EE
B+ Linear Algebra...

quarter GPA: 3.52

For some odd reason I didn't think I could drop .5 GPA because of a final... I must've done really bad but oh well, it's much better than a 2.2

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: timosyy
A - World Regions
A - Marketing
B - Finance
C - Linear Algebra <----- misread the time for the final, got a zero, had an A before that.

3.59 for the semester, also since i'm a 3rd year transfer, my overall GPA (it's my first semester at this university, GPA gets wiped when you transfer). Missing the Linear Algebra final sucks doubly because of that-- I only have 3 semesters to dig myself out of the hole. Should have been a 3.83, instead it'll take me 2 semesters of straight As to get back to that mark, and I won't be able to break 3.9 like I was planning <_<.

Edit: Also, i HATE HATE HATE the new +/- system, I always end up skirting the 93-94% line.

If your that concerned about high marks couldn't you just retake linear algebra?

I'm transferring with an AS after the spring semester, so I'll be in the same boat. But my new marks help determine my job with the Army ROTC program, so I'll really have to start off with a bang.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
100% in my labor econ class (didn't miss a point :D)

was borderline in my international fiance and monetary economics class, depending on the curve on the final either an A or B

should have an A in my us history class

No idea on my statistics class, got a 90% on test A, 85% test B, Turned in 4 of 14 homework assignments (100% on all 4) and then there is a final paper/presentation.

each part is 25% of the grade, so the question is, did i do well enough on the final paper to make up for the non-attempt on the homework. By rough calculation i need an 80% to get a C. Next time i should do the fucking busywork, this class should have been an automatic A

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Organic Chemistry (4 credits) -- A
Organic Chemistry Lab (1) -- A
Human Physiology (4) -- A
Intermediate Microecon (4) -- A
Intro Macroecon (4) -- A
Indoor Cycling & Spin (1) -- S (we have to take 4 PE classes for graduation on S/U grading)

Not bad considering I felt that was slacking a lot this semester and was expecting somewhere in the 3.6 range.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Just finished my last final a couple of hours ago.

A&P I - A
Intro to Chem - A (my class was filled with retards)
Dev Psych - B
Art History - A

Didn't rock my finals like I wanted to, but the semester grade is what counts, and I had to spend most of my time on getting that B in Psych. I fucking hate psychology.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
1 more final to go!!!

I wanna say 4x A so far but only 2 confirmed :(

edit:
10208 AD 11400 003 Drawing II West Lafayette P 3.000
17690 ECE 20200 001 Linear Circuit Analysis II West Lafayette A+ 3.000
17710 ECE 20800 005 Electronic Devices And Design Laboratory West Lafayette A 1.000
17711 ECE 25500 001 Introduction To Electronic Analysis And Design West Lafayette A
17716 ECE 27000 001 Introduction To Digital System Design West Lafayette A+ 4.000
18192 ECON 25100 007 Microeconomics West Lafayette A+ 3.000

money in the bank :)

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
A's in Statistics, Management Science and Project Management
B in Financial Accounting

These were 6 week foundation classes for my MBA program...have one more six week class (Managerial Accounting) before I start my core 12 week classes...

Dec 26, 2007
Just got my last grade posted yesterday:

Hardware Support=A (required course, A+ certification allowed me to "test out" of class except the final)
Internet Tools=B (HTML programming... I didn't do much in here so I'm pretty happy with that)
Into to Philosophy=A- (teacher was horrible... had no idea what grade this would be)
CCNA1=B+ (in the top 5 of the class of 18 so not too shabby)
CCNA2=B- (in the top 10 of the class of 18... I got behind in work due to family death :()

All said and done like a 3.6ish or something like that. Quite happy actually. My best semester yet in college.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Grades aren't posted until the 24th, but if I had to guess.

Thermodynamics 1 - B/C
Statics & Dynamics - B
Circuits 1 - A
Appreciation of Architecture (easy gen ed) - A
C Programming for Engineers - A

Thermo kicked my ass, but I'm expecting a pretty generous curve.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: timosyy
A - World Regions
A - Marketing
B - Finance

ouch. i'd retake :p

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Intro to Biology - 89.8% rounds up to an A
Speech - I'm assuming an A, 100% on all speeches, 79% on one test.
Ethics - Turned in 3 papers on last weekend, 100% on all - A for the class
Math - 85% going into final, failed miserably, overall a C

Blech, should have put some effort into math, it could have been another easy straight A semester.

3.54 GPA for the semester, definitely fine with that.

I don't get it. How do you fail a final when you have an 85% going into it? That basically tells me you weren't really learning the material the first 9 weeks, just copying homework answers and turning it in. :roll: