How well does Linux perform with 4k?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Thinking of completely ditching multi monitor for a single 4k monitor which will give me more screen real estate in a single monitor. Does Linux fair out ok with 4k or is there known issues? What about the installation interface or live CD/USB? Will it be able to detect/handle that fine, before any proper drivers get loaded? I tend to try out live CDs or reinstall somewhat regularly so Idealy that process needs to work too.

I recall reading about people having issues with them but not sure if it was isolated.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I think there are issues with font scaling when using 4K depending on which DE or WM you use. My advice would be to use a display size of at least 32", 40" is highly recommended.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I just got a 40" 4K UHD HDR TV, and right now, the box I have connected to it is running Windows 10 64-bit, but a friend of mine that runs Linux on an AMD APU was asking me how Linux ran on the 4K. I'll have to try it some time. I was asking him if his Linux DE had any sort of "scaling factor" like Windows 10 has, but he couldn't find one. Just a Font Scaling feature, and the ability to zoom icons on his desktop.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah was thinking that too, no real scaling function that is global, is text really too small that it's hard to read if it's not scaled? I'm think if I go big enough it may not be an issue, but hard to know without trying. Don't want to end up realizing that it's just too hard to read anything and can't do anything about it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well you can pick the font for xterm (gnome-term, kde-term, whatever-term) as well as the theme font so I think it should be fine. I don't have a 4k monitor but i do use unix on 1440p as well as 1200x800 without too much in the way of issues.

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Just got a 4k monitor and it is running smooth with Linux Mint. Didn't have to do anything but plug it in and turn it on. Set to the correct resolution and refresh rate automatically using the displayport.

Loving it so far. Much better for me than 2k and ultra-wide 2k.

Only complaint I have is that I have to get rid of 2 monitors now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good to know. I may very well do this after Christmas. Probably see what's available in terms of Boxing Day sales, and play it by ear. If I miss out, I miss out, just not meant to be. Right now I'm still paying off my central A/C so don't want to spend more money, but there are some pretty good deals out now...

what size did you get? What I'm hoping is to not even need to scale at all, as the idea is so I can have more real estate when coding etc. I'm thinking 32" is probably a good size to go by.

I can also use more monitors at work since they won't buy us more, so that's kind of a bonus as I'd end up with 3 spare monitors to bring to work, only need to buy a video card for more ports.

If I do this I'll probably need to get a new KVM though, as mine may not support 4k. I'll find out when I try it...

o306

Mar 23, 2015
what size did you get?

27". I would have gotten a 32" if the prices weren't so high, 32" seems like the perfect size.

I have price points that I refuse to go over no matter how good a product is even if I can afford it and 32" 4k monitors are way over that price.

I considered taking a risk and ordering one of those 32" korean panels that are sold, but after reading all of the reviews and various threads I don't want to deal with the risk of a mediocre panel or the post-1-month problems I saw a lot of people have with those monitors. I will patiently wait until the companies with a US presence like LG, Dell, Samsung, etc. start making more 32" 4k monitors at reasonable prices. Hopefully Monoprice is working on something, they make excellent monitors as well.

What I'm hoping is to not even need to scale at all, as the idea is so I can have more real estate when coding etc. I'm thinking 32" is probably a good size to go by.

I got this monitor for coding purposes and so far it has not disappointed. I don't use any scaling and I have no problems with it from minute one. After 2 days of use my eyes & brain don't register the text as small anymore. It's normal (and good). If you get one and you don't get used to it in a few days, get an updated prescription for your eyes and you will probably be alright.

I wish I had not listened to the suggestions and reviews that said that ultra-wide 2k was good for productivity and programming. I was still shuffling windows back and forth constantly on the screen when working, even with an ultra-wide 2k. The extra horizontal space did nothing for me over the standard 2k monitor I was replacing. All it did was give my neck a good workout because now my head had to constantly turn due to the extra wideness of the screen. Ultra-wide monitors seem to be good for gamers. I totally disagree with the productivity argument. I would rather use a standard 2k monitor than an ultra-wide for productivity. I don't game at all so I have no use for the benefits it brings.

Earlier today I was using one corner to program in an IDE and it worked out great. Before trying it I didn't think it would work, but it did. To actually be able to make use of a window that only takes up a quarter of your screen...amazing.

I am very happy with this monitor and will keep it for the next 2-3 years as I estimate that is how long it will take for 32" 4k monitors to hit the price point that I am looking for.

I might buy a new monitor stand because I like the easily adjustable stands that my Dell and LG monitors have that this 4k monitor is replacing.

Other than that, this thing is excellent. And I got it on sale so my wallet is happy too.