How well do you carry your body weight?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I just started the South Beach diet (was beginning w/ Atkins induction but switch to SB because it was less restrictive), and as a result I've been weighing myself regularly.

I'm 5'10", and most health advocates place my ideal weight around 160-180 because of my large frame.

I weighed 208 last time I checked. :Q This means that I'm about 30lbs overweight, which is pretty substantial. According to the BMI index I am "obese." However, upon telling people I need to lose said amount of weight, they stare at me incredulously and say I look fine. My pants that I bought when I weighed 190 still fit, though I would like to fit into a size 34 again (36 now).

The only time I have had people comment on my markedly different appearance because of weight was when I wasted away to 155lbs a few years ago. By health standards, it's "normal" or even "healthy" but I looked like a goddamn famine posterchild.

How about you guys? Anyone else here have an abnormal tolerance to physical manifestation of weight gain/loss?

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
I need to start gaining weight. I'm 5'8" and I only weigh 123lbs. And that's after I started working out a month ago. Before that I was 112lbs. I'm a skinny bitch.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I'm 6'4" and most charts tell me I should weigh under 200....which I haven't been since high school.

I weigh around 270, and while I could stand to lose 20 lbs or so, I am not a huge fat ass like it would seem. Nobody can guess within 30 lbs of my weight by looking at me. They always say around 240, and usually don't believe me when I tell them what the actual number is.
So I guess I carry my weight pretty well.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
I'm in the same boat as you in that I feel like I need to drop about 15-25 pounds. I think I carry it pretty well. I do have a bit of a belly but it really doesnt bother me and you cant tell unless I am shirtless. That being said I would like to get rid of it along with these love handles that my GF seems to be so fond of.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: amnesiac
I just started the South Beach diet (was beginning w/ Atkins induction but switch to SB because it was less restrictive), and as a result I've been weighing myself regularly.

I'm 5'10", and most health advocates place my ideal weight around 160-180 because of my large frame.

I weighed 208 last time I checked. :Q This means that I'm about 30lbs overweight, which is pretty substantial. According to the BMI index I am "obese." However, upon telling people I need to lose said amount of weight, they stare at me incredulously and say I look fine. My pants that I bought when I weighed 190 still fit, though I would like to fit into a size 34 again (36 now).

The only time I have had people comment on my markedly different appearance because of weight was when I wasted away to 155lbs a few years ago. By health standards, it's "normal" or even "healthy" but I looked like a goddamn famine posterchild.

How about you guys? Anyone else here have an abnormal tolerance to physical manifestation of weight gain/loss?

Whoa.... I must have been typing in my sleep... wait, maybe I posted this as part of my split personality? If not, it sounds exactly like me. Too much pizza, but no one believes I weigh as much as I do.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm also 5'10" and right at around 204. I would consider myself stalky. I was 180 up until I got married, then I packed on some pounds in my gut. I hope to get back down to 185. I was up around 215-220 at one time, but now I'm coming back down slowly. I figure another year or two I should be back at 185. Nobody thinks I weigh as much as I do either. They all pretty much guess 190.

KK

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
5'5" @ 150

BMI says I'm normal, but add a point or two and I'll be overweight. I think I bench like hell for my size though, so I should be fine.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
i'm 5'10" and weigh and just over 200lbs, but it's muscle w00t :p i'm around 11% body fat, but i'm trying to gain mass. maybe i'll make it back down to 7.5-8.5% during spring.

=|

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My gut is the only thing that changes. I have a very large rib cage and back muscles. I'm not going to get any thinner looking, I'll just have a big chest and small stomach and look really weird.

Edit:

Height: 74"
Weight: 220 lbs (978.608755 Newtons :D)
Waist: 38"
Inseam: 33"
Chest: 52"
Neck: 23" (IIRC)
Shoes: 15-16

Those are all of my stats.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
However, upon telling people I need to lose said amount of weight, they stare at me incredulously and say I look fine.
That's maybe because a lot of people are fat themselves ;)

I don't carry weight particularly well. Although I'm far from huge probably my most developed muscle is my pecs (well I say that - mrsskoorb calls them bitch tits!) and if my bodyfat is high at all it starts to look like I have boobies, so really I like to try and be fairly thin. That for me is about 14% bodyfat. Any higher and i"m not comfortable. I plan on hitting 10% in the future but I've shaved off 6% or so this year and I'm fairly sick of it, so as of yesterday I'm going on maintenance calories for 6 weeks and creatine to put on some much needed muscle. WHen I was fatter I used to think I had more than I do in reality :(

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I dunno,I'd like to lose another 10 but I don't know if that will be happening anytime soon. What's funny though is everybody at work always trying to feed me.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
5'11" here, i probably weigh around 200 still, its not something i worry about enough to weigh myself more than once every 8 months or so. I carry weight well too, when i drop weight friends can see it in my face but normally you cant tell. I lost some weight recently and im wearing size 36 jeans but i also wear some old size 34 they are just a little tighter than I normally like. When I used to tell people i weighed around 220 pounds they were surprised

i need a beer its 11 am

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
heh, what weight? I'm 5'10, 125 pounds. People tell me I could be used as a biology lesson because you can see all my bones and muscles. I've never had my body fat percentage measures, but many people tell me it's probably around 7-8%. I really need to gain weight because I'm so scrawny. But it seems impossible for me to gain anything. I eat and eat, and still weigh what I did 2 years ago.

I'm 5'9" and I weigh 130 lbs. I look like a famine poster child, but I can't help it. :)

fatalbert

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
not too well

I am fat

~5'10" 240 I recently lost about 10 lbs, but that isn't enough. soo, I need to lose about another 40 lbs before I am even close to happy