How well do indoor HDTV antennas work?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by FDF12389, Nov 13, 2007.

1. FDF12389

FDF12389 Diamond Member

How well do these work? Text are they like rabbit ears? All fuzzy and such?

Update:

I plugged a small tv I had into the only cable jack in my new apartment, and voila it picks up 94 cable channels from time warner. The apartment is an upper flat, and hasn't been occupied for 7 months. So I'm thinking that they just didn't disconnect the cable, can time warner detect that I'm using their cable without paying for it?

Tonight when I get off work I'm gonna plug it into my tv that has QAM and see if I get anything hd.

Also the only coax jack comes in through the kitchen, so Im looking at this product wondering how well it would work.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

2. Mloot

Mloot Diamond Member

A lot of it depends on how far away you are from your tv transmitter towers, what materials your home is made of, and other factors. If you go to tvfool.com and input your address, you can see how far away your local transmitters are, what direction they are in regards to where you live, and the estimated signal strengths of each station's broadcast once it reaches you.

While there are some people who can get good digital reception with an indoor antenna up to 30 miles from the towers or so, I think the general consensus is anything beyond 15-20 miles you are better off considering an outdoor antenna.

You can find alot more information over at avsforum.com.

3. Fingolfin269

Fingolfin269 Lifer

It really depends on distance. I've used some crappy indoor rabbit ears and picked up a few high-def feeds just find.

And don't be confused as this is nothing at all like your analog OTA. You either get the feed or you don't. The closest thing you will get to 'fuzzy' with digital OTA is a frozen/skipping/'choppy' picture.

4. FDF12389

FDF12389 Diamond Member

Every station is almost exactly 27-32 miles away. I cannot mount an external antenna where I live. Am I forced to get cable?

5. Shadowknight

Shadowknight Diamond Member

If you can't pick them up, then yeah. But see if you have a QAM tuner built into your TV. This means that you if you get even regular, basic cable (Like the $10 package), you can watch the unscrambled digital (high definition) feeds for your local channels, for free. In cases where the cable provider is lazy, some premium digital channels might not be scramblered either. So you don't need the high-end, super-duper digital cable package to watch (the local) channels in HD.

6. Indolent

Indolent Platinum Member

I have that terk one. When I lived in an apartment, I was on the complete opposite side of the building as the stations and I still got reception. The stations were about 15 miles away. The worst you can do is buy it, and if it doesn't work, just return it. Shadowknight's suggestion will work in that case.

BTW, Amazon has that exact same antenna for $40 with free shipping.

7. Funyuns101

Funyuns101 Platinum Member

Quoting Indolent again... I did this - this antenna, like ShadowKnight said, works very well. I'm between Baltimore and Washington DC. My apartment faces north - so I only pick up Baltimore stations with plain old rabbit ears.
    With these, pointing south-ish... I was able to pick up Balt + DC channels.
    I ended up returning it because it's cheaper on Amazon... but I'm trying to see if the other cheaper directional, amplified antennas work just as well.

Otherwise, OP, try plugging in your cable if you have QAM (I don't).

8. FDF12389

FDF12389 Diamond Member

That antenna didn't work, updated op.

9. Indolent

Indolent Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure they can't tell you're using it. It's nice that you got lucky and get it free though I'm sure there are some here that will say you're being dishonest.