How well do clothing steamers work?

Mar 15, 2003
Not a fan of ironing and wondered if a clothes steamer works well enough. Is it much faster? Can anyone recommend any brands? Do the hand steamers work well or should I get a full sized one (in the sub-$100 level).

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
For what it's worth, I believe most people who work with clothes professionally use a steamer.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
what you are looking for is something called "drycleaning"

Haha.. I'm talking about for jeans/ t-shirts, casual button down shirts, etc. Stuff I wash at home, obviously.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
I would buy from a place with a no hassle return policy just in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

To remove small wrinkles just hang the clothes in the bathroom while taking a nice hot shower with the door closed then smooth out the wrinkles. This trick also works well with business clothes packed for a trip.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: doze
I would buy from a place with a no hassle return policy just in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

To remove small wrinkles just hang the clothes in the bathroom while taking a nice hot shower with the door closed then smooth out the wrinkles. This trick also works well with business clothes packed for a trip.

I've tried the shower trick but I take 10 minute long ones and relatively cold ones (to wake me up) - never works for me. I'll take your advice and get one locally, but if anyone has a company/model recommendation I'm open ears - will save me a trip or two.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
I also toss a wet washcloth in the dryer with my wrinkled clothes for about 10 minutes or so on high heat and it usually does the trick. I have no problem with ironing my clothes though but tricks like this help you sleep a few minutes later in the morning.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: doze
I also toss a wet washcloth in the dryer with my wrinkled clothes for about 10 minutes or so on high heat and it usually does the trick. I have no problem with ironing my clothes though but tricks like this help you sleep a few minutes later in the morning.

I used to do that all the time when I had my own dryer (live in an apartment now) - it worked like a charm and I loved that fresh out of the dryer feeling. Throwing a fabric softner sheet in there also freshens up stale clothes that may have been sitting in the closet a bit too long with a nice, spring fresh smell.

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
i have one, it works very well (not quite as well as an iron IMO) but it is certainly faster and easier to use.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
We have one too, works great on almost everything... Takes much less time...