How tough is it to get into Cornell?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: The Pentium Guy
I'm thinking either Chemical or Computer engineering... looking to get my hands on nanotech. I agree with the comment about undergrad isn't very important --- especially with tuition costs for college rising to 30-40k per year. Rice is the #1 most funded university actually. I should definately look into that more.

I'm not too sure about CMU though - the people that I know that went there are looking to transfer out due to the insane amount of work they get (all CS majors, btw), techie atmosphere, and campus facilities.

Cornell would be perfect for either Computer Engineering or Chemical Engineering, and especially nanotech. They have a very good new nanofabrication facility, and packaging facility, and very good Chemical Engineering and Materials Science departments. If you just want to do CS or CE, then CMU should be great too, but if you want to do more of these interdisciplinary studies, then Cornell is better, IMO, because it's solid all around.
Also, don't assume undergrad isn't very important. Cornell has very solid undergrad, and you will be able to supplement your studies with plenty of grad level courses, so when you graduate, you will be on par with MS students from most other schools. Unlike a lot of universities where grad research gets all the attention, Cornell puts big emphasis on undergrad preparation. You will be able to get jobs from companies that look for MSEE level skills with a BSEE from Cornell.
Also, Cornell is easier to get into than it would be if it wasn't in such an isolated area, so you may actually have a shot.
Cornell nanofab video

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: PowerMacG5
You can probably get in to both. Cornell isn't very hard to get in to, and Carnegie Mellon is probably a little easier, or just on par with RPI.

I personally am at RPI right now, and love it. The thing with RPI that everyone says is that it's an "easy" school to get in to, but hard to stay.

Based on what you are saying about yourself, I can almost guarantee you have a great shot at instant acceptance to RPI. You can't even imagine the dolt's I've met here.

Also, RPI's campus is very very nice, but once you leave the campus border, Troy is a sh!t town. Bring a car, or make friends with someone with a car, and go to Albany as much as you can, since their is more stuff to do there, than Troy. Also, I recommend the greek life, since basically anyone social at RPI is greek. <-- This all applies only if you apply, and decide to go to RPI.

Troy is an utter ****** hole. I couldn't go to school in such an area, I just feel unsafe. My ex-gf goes to Russell Sage College (also in Troy) and I hated going to Troy. The whole town is a cesspool, and referred to as "Troy-let" (read: toilet) by most anyone who knows anything about Troy. It is best to see Troy at high speed with the windows up and the doors locked, or just in your rear view mirror.

I went up to RPI a few times in my many trips to the hockey games, which were quite fun, although after that I don't remember any other activities at RPI except everyone there gets trashed ALL-THE-TIME. That's not really my thing so my gf and I would just head back to Sage. A lot of her friends would go to RPI for the weekend and party all the time, so if that?s your thing and you don't mind living in a sketchy town ... go for it.

As for education I don't know much about RPI except that my Grandfather graduated from there, they are known for their engineering, and everyone thinks when I say RIT, I go to RPI. Explaining that gets old fast.

Good luck with your decision though! :)

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I don't agree that undergrad doesn't matter. It matters. Less so if you do go to grad school, but even then it matters. If you get a job right out of undergrad it's a big deal where you go. I actually think grad school is less important.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
go for it - you definitely have a good shot w/ the extra curricular stuff. college choice is such a b!tch, thank god i didn't have too many picks, and financial aid filtered them quite easily :D:D

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
For what it's worth, I'm a rising junior at a 'top' schools.... dunno if that makes my opinion any more useful to you than it would be otherwise, but there you go...

I don't know much about the new SAT scores, but if I just scale them linearly down to the x/1600 scale, you're running a little low there. Not so low that they won't look at you, but still.

I'd consider retaking SAT2 physics as well unless you have an AP test for it (AP-C, AP-B means nothing).

GPA is also hanging a little low, but I've seen lower where I go to school.

Do you have any APs?

The fact that you're taking college classes (at a pretty good school no less--WPI) will help, *greatly*. Colleges look on that kind of thing very highly, according to my admissions office. Actually, Cornell loves the college classes too; I spoke to their head of admissions about it (~3 yrs ago)--I had multivar calc, difeq, linalg at NC State.

If the community service was more or less all in 1 or 2 places, it'll do you a lot of good. But the more spread out it is, the less it helps you.

Crew is nice, but the fact that you stopped after soph yr won't help you as much as if you'd followed through.

CMU & Cornell & other ranking engineering schools like math competitions. MIT is an extreme example, but their application has places to mark your scores for the more famous contests. Their admissions "grade sheet" also has boxes for performance at various competitions... even the IMO.

The drama/creative writing stuff will be useful to you. Schools are into this whole "well-rounded" stuff these days and so working in technical/creative areas will play to your advantage.

Oh yeah... teacher recommendations help too, and you NEED to pick wisely. Here are some characteristics to look for if you haven't thought of them already... they 1) know you, 2) have solid writing ability, 3) have some other neat credentials (I had one of my professors recommend me). But the knowing you well thing is uber-important. Colleges don't give a damn about teachers who can say like "yeah he was a good student, did well in my class, contributed to dscussions..."--everybody can get that. What they want are some specific examples that illustrate your stronger character traits.

Do a GOOD job on the essays. They're important. "Everybody" says so (well the offices I've talked to at least). If you feel like you're BS-ing, start over. Admissions officers read so many of those things that the 'canned' ones are glazed over... but they remember the good ones. (And on the essays that ask "why do you want to go here" or similar, go the the school webpage, look up professors/programs/etc, and write about them. Don't say anything like "b/c it's a top school in _______ field"; stating the obvious makes you look lame.)

Lastly, if your school(s) of interest do alumni interviews, do it! They're almost always voluntary, but you should do it. And if the application has some optional bits (MIT has an extra page on which they ask you to do whatever you want), you should do those too--shows you give a damn & is a place to show the school anything not covered in the app.

For other schools: UIUC, UMich-Ann Arbor, PennState--Univ Park. I considered those three in addition to Cornell, CMU & MIT in hs. I didn't look to the west or the south, but there are good schools there too (Stanford, Berkeley, Rice, GA-Tech, and others)

In summary: Your tests/GPA are the low end of things. A whole year of classes at WPI will help. Being "diversified" (e.g. drama) for more points; community service a plus only if it isn't spread out over 10 random projects.

In my estimation, you have a shot at CMU and Cornell. If your college grades come out well, that will help. If you have strong essays & recommendations, that will help even more. With all of that in place, you're probably about middle to middle-upper of the pack in my opinion, b/c I think you'd have enough going for you to balance out some of the weaker bits. But if your essays suck or your recommendations are lame or whatever, then I'd gander that your chances drop off a bit.

So in other words, you're riding the fence & you need everything you can get, but it's far from a lost cause.

Edit: in response to something above, 780 on mathiic ins't near perfect, at least not when I took it. The way they grade it, you can make like 5ish mistakes and still get an 800. That's why I got an 800 on that but not on the SAT-math.

And for reference, I disagree with some of the things said about CMU. Some of their engineering programs are VERY strong (esp EECS), but they don't admit quite like "top tier" schools but also not like "second tier" schools either... they're in the middle. Illustrating example: I had a friend visit their campus/stay a few days & many students he spoke with said they ended up at CMU b/c they were rejected from MIT. That's not to say that CMUs program is any weaker, but more that their admissions standards aren't quite as stiff. (B/c well, as a relatively new school (reputation-wise) w/o a whole lot of money... yeah you get the point. And that's coming from an ex CMU professor.)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: torpid
I don't agree that undergrad doesn't matter. It matters. Less so if you do go to grad school, but even then it matters. If you get a job right out of undergrad it's a big deal where you go. I actually think grad school is less important.

I disagree. If you go to grad school, it's much more important for your career. Undergrad allows you to learn a lot, but it doesn't seem like most of what you learn is very applicable.

ModeEngage

Jul 14, 2001
www.mode-engage.net
Mass Academy guy, eh? And people here actually know my school (WPI) by name? Nifty.

I'd give Cornell a shot, it seems to have the best curriculum for what you'd like to do. I'd wager your well-rounded student nature is good enough to make the cut, though you may get deferred into the regular applicant pool.

WPI might also warrant some consideration if you get some serious money from them. I think their academics are strong (hence why I went) even if the campus life sucks. They tend to give Mass Academy kids a decent helping of financial aid as well. Of course, if you hate it here, then don't.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: n30
Mass Academy guy, eh? And people here actually know my school (WPI) by name? Nifty.

I'd give Cornell a shot, it seems to have the best curriculum for what you'd like to do. I'd wager your well-rounded student nature is good enough to make the cut, though you may get deferred into the regular applicant pool.

WPI might also warrant some consideration if you get some serious money from them. I think their academics are strong (hence why I went) even if the campus life sucks. They tend to give Mass Academy kids a decent helping of financial aid as well. Of course, if you hate it here, then don't.

How do you know he goes to Mass Academy? Though I guess it would make sense... there's a girl in my dorm who went to Mass Acad & took classes at WPI in the same fashion, never touching an AP test. Neat.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: booger711
my two pennies:

gpa and sat scores are important, but its good that you have variety in your extra-curricular activities + volunteer hours.
give it a shot. getting 1600 and 4.0 is nice, but overrated

I agree 100 percent. A well-rounded candidate has a much better shot at getting accepted than a bookworm with a 4.0.

not at carnegie mellon

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Aflac

I disagree. If you go to grad school, it's much more important for your career. Undergrad allows you to learn a lot, but it doesn't seem like most of what you learn is very applicable.

It really depends on your major in terms of how practical/useful your undergrad education will be. My friends who got out with degrees in various forms of finance, risk management, and other business-related fields all seemed to have at least some directly-transferrable real-world skills. I'd imagine the same goes for engineering majors. However, us humanities people end up with just about nothing that's immediately useful; all of our stuff comes from graduate school.

As far as which is weighted more--if you don't go to grad school, obviously your undergrad program is very important (especially for business programs/scools). However, once you finish up your graduate degree, hardly anyone will ever ask or care where you got your bachelor's.

ModeEngage

Jul 14, 2001
www.mode-engage.net
Originally posted by: eLiu
Originally posted by: n30

How do you know he goes to Mass Academy? Though I guess it would make sense... there's a girl in my dorm who went to Mass Acad & took classes at WPI in the same fashion, never touching an AP test. Neat.

I don't know, per se, but taking WPI classes in high school certainly suggests that he goes to Mass Academy :p

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac

You are disagreeing with something I did not say. I was saying it matters which school you go to for undergrad to employers, because people above say it doesn't matter to employers. Also, I don't know what your field is, but my field is very applicable.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Yeah I'm a Mass Academy student, pretty good school. Best part about it is their excellent FIRST program (which I'm a part of)...and I thought WPI was a pretty well-known school, having a really reputable mechE program.

Thanks for the info eLiu, long post but certainly a thoughtful, informative read. I guess I'll be retaking a few tests if I want to get in.

The whole nano fabrication video was pretty cool :thumbsup:.

ModeEngage

Jul 14, 2001
www.mode-engage.net
Mass Academy's FIRST program is hax. My sister was on a local public school's FIRST team so I heard firsthand accounts of the "pwnage." :p

I think what steered me away from apping to Cornell was my buddies telling me about the abnormally high suicide rate of their grads. Nano fab video looks interesting, I'll have to watch that when I get home.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: The Pentium Guy
Yeah I'm a Mass Academy student, pretty good school. Best part about it is their excellent FIRST program (which I'm a part of)...and I thought WPI was a pretty well-known school, having a really reputable mechE program.

Thanks for the info eLiu, long post but certainly a thoughtful, informative read. I guess I'll be retaking a few tests if I want to get in.

The whole nano fabrication video was pretty cool :thumbsup:.

Cool, hopefully it helped somewhat. I wouldn't sweat the test scores too much. Try to be in the middle 50% of what the school reports for its admitted students (the higher the better, naturally). On their own, great test scores will never get you in, but awful ones will keep you out (yours aren't awful though, lol). Eh feel free to pm me if you need anything else...

Do you know a girl named Sarah Rich? It's a long shot b/c she's 3 years ahead of you (my year). She lives in my dorm now & was huge on FIRST.

Last note: I just thought of this... but if you're unsure about what kind of engineering you want to do, don't go to CMU--your options are limited once you step away from EECS. On the other hand, a place like Cornell is strong in all sections & makes for a great opportunity for these newer 'interdisciplinary' fields.

Also, pay attention to the living environment... don't pick a school just based on their reputation. Remember that you actually have to live there for 4 yrs, so you better like the surroundings--is there enough to do? would you fit into the community? like the food? dorms ok? All are relevant questions...

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I was between CMU and Drexel for Mechanical Engineering. I went with Drexel and would do it again.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: booger711
my two pennies:

gpa and sat scores are important, but its good that you have variety in your extra-curricular activities + volunteer hours.
give it a shot. getting 1600 and 4.0 is nice, but overrated

I agree 100 percent. A well-rounded candidate has a much better shot at getting accepted than a bookworm with a 4.0.

not at carnegie mellon

Heh, well, at some schools you need to be well-rounded and have a 4.0. :) I was accepted at CMU long ago, but I decided to go elsewhere.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: markgm
I was between CMU and Drexel for Mechanical Engineering. I went with Drexel and would do it again.

I'm assuming you got basically a free ride from Drexel?

Throwmeabone

Jan 9, 2006
Originally posted by: BigJ
Some of you people have been out of the loop for college admissions for too long. O RLY?

CMUs CIT (Carnegie Institute of Technology) is one of the most prestigious and hardest Institutes to get into in the nation. When you're ranked basically the same as MIT and Berk, you better believe it's difficult to get into. It is decidedly harder to get into CIT than it is to get into Cornell.

The problem you run into with Cornell is that it is relatively easy to get into their LAS/State Run College. Try to get into their Private College, and things get MUCH MUCH more difficult. Cornell's College of Engineering is also very difficult to get into, but not as bas as CMUs CIT.

PowerMacG5, RPI doesn't even hold a candle to CMU's CIT or Cornell's CoE in terms of admission.

OP, with your stats, Cornell is a possibility, but CMU is a very long reach. You need to get a much better score on the SATI Math, you need to get a near perfect score on the Math IIC, and you need to improve that Physics SATII considerably.

You are dead wrong. I will explain with my own little story: I was a slacker in high school, hardly any extracurriculars, low-ish GPA (91) and I put no effort into my applications. My strong point was just my "high" SAT: 2200/2400. I applied as a ChemE major at a lot of reach schools that I knew were long shots. As expected, I got rejected from Cornell, rejected from MIT, rejected from Northwestern and others. However I did get on the waitlist at Johns Hopkins (which I consider an accomplishment), and the priority waitlist at Carnegie Mellon. If I wanted to be on the prority waitlist, I would have to agree to attend if there was a spot, so there was a high chance of getting in. I chose not to do it though.

Sure CIT is selective, but the point is Cornell is a lot more selective for any major. I'm not referring to the OP, but at my school and a lot of places, people think that any idiot with a GPA above 85 and SAT's in the 600's has a chance at Cornell, but that is NOT the case. Saying that Cornell is a possibility and that CMU is the reach is absurd.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001

Pretty dang close. 5 years there (they have 3 co-ops) and I walked away paying less than 25k out of pocket for everything including housing and food. The OP needs to take that into consideration as well. If you get in that doesn't mean you'll get decent financial aid.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Throwmeabone
Some of you people have been out of the loop for college admissions for too long. O RLY?

CMUs CIT (Carnegie Institute of Technology) is one of the most prestigious and hardest Institutes to get into in the nation. When you're ranked basically the same as MIT and Berk, you better believe it's difficult to get into. It is decidedly harder to get into CIT than it is to get into Cornell.

The problem you run into with Cornell is that it is relatively easy to get into their LAS/State Run College. Try to get into their Private College, and things get MUCH MUCH more difficult. Cornell's College of Engineering is also very difficult to get into, but not as bas as CMUs CIT.

PowerMacG5, RPI doesn't even hold a candle to CMU's CIT or Cornell's CoE in terms of admission.

OP, with your stats, Cornell is a possibility, but CMU is a very long reach. You need to get a much better score on the SATI Math, you need to get a near perfect score on the Math IIC, and you need to improve that Physics SATII considerably.

You are dead wrong. I will explain with my own little story: I was a slacker in high school, hardly any extracurriculars, low-ish GPA (91) and I put no effort into my applications. My strong point was just my "high" SAT: 2200/2400. I applied as a ChemE major at a lot of reach schools that I knew were long shots. As expected, I got rejected from Cornell, rejected from MIT, rejected from Northwestern and others. However I did get on the waitlist at Johns Hopkins (which I consider an accomplishment), and the priority waitlist at Carnegie Mellon. If I wanted to be on the prority waitlist, I would have to agree to attend if there was a spot, so there was a high chance of getting in. I chose not to do it though.

Sure CIT is selective, but the point is Cornell is a lot more selective for any major. I'm not referring to the OP, but at my school and a lot of places, people think that any idiot with a GPA above 85 and SAT's in the 600's has a chance at Cornell, but that is NOT the case. Saying that Cornell is a possibility and that CMU is the reach is absurd.

Your one anecdote is supposed to prove me dead wrong? And I'm not comparing CMU vs Cornell, I'm comparing CIT vs Cornell, which is a very different story. Getting admitted to CMU's general programs is definitely easier than Cornell.

Head over to the Discussion Boards at College Confidential. Browse around for a bit and come back to me.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Pretty dang close. 5 years there (they have 3 co-ops) and I walked away paying less than 25k out of pocket for everything including housing and food. The OP needs to take that into consideration as well. If you get in that doesn't mean you'll get decent financial aid.

Thought so. Drexel was pretty generous with meeting need after I went and interviewed for that second scholarship (forgot what it's called, but it's when everyone who was selected for it goes down and interviews with people from their respective major). However, I took a different road and can't say I'm unhappy with my choice.

Throwmeabone

Jan 9, 2006
I've been at College Confidential and they would agree with me. Regardless, the people there are a completely unqualified to say whether anyone will get into a college or not. They are just nerdy kids so obsessed with getting into college that they want to talk about it all day.