How to use health insurance..?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I've always had health insurance through all my jobs as far as I can remember, but I have never used it ever.

This week I broke my glasses digging my car out of 1" of snow (06 Civic + snow = Fail) and I want to get a pair this Friday. I've always just walked into an eyeglass place, and paid for exam + glasses; I never used a health insurance card to do anything.

What do I do? Show up at Lenscrafters or something and give them my insurance card? Do I have to make an appointment. Am I really gonna save any money if I decide to purchase non-prescription frames? I also heard that they don't cover contacts, although that isn't a big deal...I am equally ugly with or without glasses.

I am totally lost when it comes to stuff like this. Anyone know what I have to do? I tried asking at work, but everyone just looks at me weird like I am a retard, and offers no real help.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Health Insurance doesn't always cover Optical. Be sure that yours does.

BTW, why were you digging out of one inch of snow??

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
If you need an eye exam, you'll probably have to call ahead. Otherwise just walk in and give them your insurance info. And no, they don't usually cover contacts.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
go to the web site of your vision insurance and see what retailers work with them and go to one of their stores, well call and get an appointment for an eye exam

then after their exam, they herd you to the optical shop and explain your covereage to you so you can pick out your frames and lense options and tell you how much you have to pay

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Are you sure you get vision insurance with your plan? I have a great health plan (PPO), but I still have to get vision/dental on the side. They are extremely cheap though.

I pay $88/month for health, $8/month for dental, and $0.78/month for vision

Also, even if you have vision insurance, you should check and see what all it covers. Alot of times vision insurance will only cover like 1 pair of frames and 1 checkup, but not contacts, etc...

If you are covered, just make an appointment, and give them your info when you get there.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Are you sure you get vision insurance with your plan? I have a great health plan (PPO), but I still have to get vision/dental on the side. They are extremely cheap though.

I pay $88/month for health, $8/month for dental, and $0.78/month for vision

Also, even if you have vision insurance, you should check and see what all it covers. Alot of times vision insurance will only cover like 1 pair of frames and 1 checkup, but not contacts, etc...

If you are covered, just make an appointment, and give them your info when you get there.

Yeah, I am sure I am covered. When I mentioned it at work, everyone said I could get eyeglasses from the insurance plan. I have dental also, but I don't plan to use it anytime soon.

I might drop by my HR department at lunchtime later this week to see what I have to do.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Health Insurance doesn't always cover Optical. Be sure that yours does.

BTW, why were you digging out of one inch of snow??

I have to go up a 30 degree incline, then turn into a 45 degree incline uphill to get out of my parking space. The little bit of snow that fell into nyc put an inch of snow that my car couldnt grip out of, no matter how I tried. I ended up digging out by using my sneakers to kick a path out. Took me about 10 minutes to kick enough out to pull my car out. :roll:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Do you have your prescription? Get a copy of it from your eye doctor if you don't.
I got my glasses from:
www.zennioptical.com for about $30 with antireflective coating and clip ons.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
Do you have your prescription? Get a copy of it from your eye doctor if you don't.
I got my glasses from:
www.zennioptical.com for about $30 with antireflective coating and clip ons.

My current prescriptions about 2 years old, and oddly enough, they seem to be too strong for me lately. I find that I need to take them off every couple of hours to let my eyes relax. I want to go the quick route and get glasses in an hour or so.