How To How to update android 4.1.2 to the latest version

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's how I'd approach it: a "look, Ma, my 12-year-old phone is running Android 12!" experiment where you'd not worried if things go sideways. I wouldn't dare if this had to be my main phone!
I'm pretty certain that I don't have a SIM that would fit it anyway! It'll just be flashed and connected to WiFi. Then I'll go "that was cool" and put it back in the drawer of obsolete hardware! :)

fgxvcdsm

Dec 8, 2022
I used a banned android app to make some apps full versions but those apps started to run slowly and apps stop running automatically and crashed down.i temoved banned apps and uninstalled/reinstalled apps.
Now apps run normally.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So I wouldn't advise doing it unless you know what your doing.
I had to change the partition sizes, change the recovery environment, wipe and flash a few times and it's sort of usable. It's pretty laggy, not as laggy as I was expecting tbh but I wouldn't want to use it.
Most things seem to work although I don't have a SIM card that fits so I can't test that.

It was a bit of a quick and dirty flash I didn't build that ROM, I just nabbed it from XDA.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ok. I've flashed the Google Apps framework onto it and its pretty much unusable now.
Don't do it OP! Was fun though!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't consider gapps essential. That's a feature, not a bug.
That is a fair and valid point!
It does highlight how much work is being added to the OS by "unseen apps" though. This was with just the google framework and the playstore added, no other google apps.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I killed play services on my phone to see what would break, and the moto gestures quit working right. That isn't essential, but I like shaking my phone to turn on the light, so I turned services back on. I didn't test the two programs I explicitly downloaded that said they require play services. I was thinking it might only break stuff I don't care about, but the flashlight ended the experiment.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I killed play services on my phone to see what would break, and the moto gestures quit working right. That isn't essential, but I like shaking my phone to turn on the light, so I turned services back on. I didn't test the two programs I explicitly downloaded that said they require play services. I was thinking it might only break stuff I don't care about, but the flashlight ended the experiment.
I assumed that it was the security stuff that Google puts in. It scans the installed apps and I'd imagine that would very much impact performance on an old phone.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Could be. I disabled a lot of builtin stuff on my phone, and turned off any 'app security' features I could find. If you wanted to play around, you might be able to disable features to get performance back while keeping gapps.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Could be. I disabled a lot of builtin stuff on my phone, and turned off any 'app security' features I could find. If you wanted to play around, you might be able to disable features to get performance back while keeping gapps.
TBH it was just a fun thing to do, I'm not going to spend ages building a ROM from scratch. The phone is way too old to use as a phone now.
Theres a lot of stuff that the google framework does in the background that you dont really have any control over. Theres a lot of overhead in running that stuff.
If you truly dont need any google services then an AOSP ROM and not installing the Google apps is the way to go. Your battery life will go through the roof!
That said Google Apps does a lot that helps your phone work, theres no way I could use a phone without it even if I do use a lot of alternatives to googles apps.