How to unclog the vacuum cleaner hose

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Our vacuum cleaner hose is plugged up with hair/fuzzy stuff, but I can't get it out. I don't have anything long enough to go in one end of the hose and push it out the other end. Any ideas?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Reverse the flow - blow it out.

Edit: Can vacuums still do that? :confused:

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
bend a metal clothes hanger to fit inside the hose and push or hook and pull the stuff out.

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Yzzim
bend a metal clothes hanger to fit inside the hose and push or hook and pull the stuff out.
That's what I tried, but once it gets past the clog and I pull it back out, nothing comes with. And if I make a hook, it just pushes the clog deeper.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
If the hose is removable, take it off and flush the clog out with water. Just make sure it dries out for awhile before you use it again. You don't want to suck that moisture into your vacuum.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
have you tried it with the hose connected to the vacuum and the vacuum turned on? If the clog got that far up the hose it should make it the rest of the way with only a little nudging from the metal hanger.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
The hose should be removable from the housing on the vacuum. Most often it is held in with 2-3 screws.

techfuzz

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: MeddyDuo
Our vacuum cleaner hose is plugged up with hair/fuzzy stuff, but I can't get it out. I don't have anything long enough to go in one end of the hose and push it out the other end. Any ideas?

Broom handle. Too short? Unscrew the end and let gravity pull it through.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Yzzim
That's what I tried, but once it gets past the clog and I pull it back out, nothing comes with. And if I make a hook, it just pushes the clog deeper.

try it with a very small hook

and if you can, take everything apart thats easy to take out, if its in one place, it could easily be in 3 and you just as well get it done all at once

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Yes the hose comes off but it's a tough clog. I took a bar from our weight bench and slid it in there, and just kept pushing it farther (it's hard to explain, imagine sliding a wooden dowel throught a water hose. You can feel where the dowel is at and keep sliding it). I got to the clog and started pushing really hard and it wouldn't come out. A little wire type thing also poked out the side of the hose right about where the clog was, so I don't know if it was there before or if I just caused that.

So the snake option is probably the best, right? That way I can pull the clog out a little at a time.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Yes the hose comes off but it's a tough clog. I took a bar from our weight bench and slid it in there, and just kept pushing it farther (it's hard to explain, imagine sliding a wooden dowel throught a water hose. You can feel where the dowel is at and keep sliding it). I got to the clog and started pushing really hard and it wouldn't come out. A little wire type thing also poked out the side of the hose right about where the clog was, so I don't know if it was there before or if I just caused that.

So the snake option is probably the best, right? That way I can pull the clog out a little at a time.

shakes head in disbelief

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Mill
Sigh, women. You'd all be starving if it weren't for men. :p

Well, it's the woman's job to vacuum the house, and the man's job to clean out any clogs from the vacuum hose. Since you've been working at it for a while without much success, you can see that the man's job is much harder than the woman's job.

:p :p j/k!