How to transport a disabled ship back to port...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Pics
My buddy just sent me these pics, I didn't realize what was going on until the last pic of the completed "lift"

beware, there's a MIDI on the page as well *cringe*

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
wow thats nutts, i dont' beleive they literally sink the ship to get under the other ship! thats so cool!

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: FoBoT
that is the ship the terrorists tried to blow up in yemen

I didn't know the story behind it, but I was wondering how and why it got attacked...that answers my question

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks geno, that is one heck of a salvage job. I have heard about how its done,
but these are the first pics i've ever seen :) Google USS Cole for the story I guess.

Note: My dad survived the USS San Francisco and the USS Franklin in the 40's.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
arriving in Pascagoula, Miss shipyard

final welds on a patch placed on the port side of the ship

floating with the patch

The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer was the target of a terrorist attack in Aden, Yemen, on Oct. 12, during a scheduled refueling. The attack killed 17 crew members and injured 39 others. Cole was transported from Aden to Pascagoula by the Norwegian heavy transport ship M/V Blue Marlin. A 60 foot by 60 foot patch was welded to the hull of the destroyer before it was off-loaded from Blue Marlin.

USS Cole (DDG 67) returns to the Fleet - April 19, 2002

Cole was in the Yemini port for a refueling stop when a small boat laden with explosives was detonated beside the ship, blasting a hole in its side. Following the attack in which 17 Sailors were killed and 39 were injured, Cole was returned to the U.S. aboard the Norwegian heavy transport ship M/V Blue Marlin owned by Offshore Heavy Transport of Oslo, Norway. The ship was off-loaded Dec. 13, 2000, from Blue Marlin in a pre-dredged deep-water facility at the shipyard of Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, Ingalls Operations.