How to take care of a knife?

Static911

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2000
I bought a Benchmade knife about 3 years ago. I finally found it and well, it needs to be sharpened, oiled, etc. What products do you recommend (or a kit) to properly maintain this knife?

Thanks,

Ethan

Feb 24, 2001
What model?

I've been looking at a 3550 auto open but they are illegal for carry in TX :(

Not illegal to own so I may get one, just can't carry it.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
That seems like a good question. I have several Swiss Army knives which I love, but some of the blades need sharpening.....

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I suggest going to a Sporting Goods store that sells knives or even WalMart. Knife oil is pretty much the same no matter what brand you get. As far as sharpening stones go, look for a triple stone....rough, medium, fine...that way you can get the major sharpening done if needed and then get the fine stuff done last... Talk to the clerks if they look like they know their stuff.

EDIT: I did a search and found what I had in mind...I used to have one of these. Tri-Hone Sharpening Stone

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Just plunge it into somebody's stomach. The acid inside helps to kill corrosion-forming bacteria, keeping it shiny and clean for all the times that you need to use an enormous and expensive knife. (ie, never)

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Static911
I bought a Benchmade knife about 3 years ago. I finally found it and well, it needs to be sharpened, oiled, etc. What products do you recommend (or a kit) to properly maintain this knife?

Thanks,

Ethan

Benchmade offers a lifetime sharpening of the blade. (Read: LifeSharp Service)

Simply send the knife & $5 for return postage to

BKC, Inc.
ATTN: Life Sharp Service
300 Beavercreek Road
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
USA

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Tri-Hones work great. Or you could get one of the diamond sharperners, that have little bits of diamond in theme. This guy I knew had one and his blades were always very sharp. He swore by them. I myself use a Trihone.