How to stop drooling in my sleep?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Roger
Ball Gag.

Gargle with listerine before bed time. In a few days, your saliva is gonna be so thick that it'd not be flowing out of your mouth.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Hammer
sleep on your back, not your side

That was all I could come up with too after much deliberation. Perhaps there is a support group?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
ouch, yeah, i can imagine the drool not helping zits... but i have no idea how you can stop it... :Q

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
The only way your gonna stop is to breath through your nose instead of your mouth.
Start using breath right strips on your nose at night. It will open up your nose to make i easier to breath from there instead of your mouth.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
The only thought I've had is try to make it habit to breathe through my nose while I'm awake. But my nose tends to be plugged a lot, so this isn't really an option.

You want to look at possible solutions for sleep apnea (which often have to do with restricted nasal passages during sleep). Solutions that I've heard to be effective include elevating your head with firm pillows (to promote nasal drainage) and using Breathe-Right strips to hold the nasal passages open.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
I can sympathize with the nasal congestion - do you by chance have allergies? My wife has complained in the past about my sleep apnea and SNORING big time. I talked with my doctor and he believed this was due to clogged nasal passages due to my seasonal allergies. He now has me taking ZYRTEC twice a day and using RHINOCORT nasal spray. This combo is the FIRST thing that has actually worked on my allergies with out side effects (I tried seldane, tavist, and many others to no avail) AND let me breathe freely through my nose ALL DAY and NIGHT!!

My wife tells my my apnea is nearly gone and I no longer snore as much (I guess due to night breathing through my nose now)

Talk to your Doc about the nasal blockage - a nasal spray / decongestant combo may work for you.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
It's kinda embarassing if you sit in the train, next to a nice chix0r, you fall asleep and then start to drool haha

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
I second the sock idea, but modify it buy using rubber-bands to affix the sock to your face. I think those may be a tad more forgiving than affixing it with duct tape. Either way...its a loose loose situation.

TheNemesis

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ndee
It's kinda embarassing if you sit in the train, next to a nice chix0r, you fall asleep and then start to drool haha

If you call them chix0rs you shouldn't have to worry about them seeing you drool...

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Chin zits?, do you play football or something?, put soap in your chin strap if you do. If your a skinny guy drooling can be common I hear, my brother had that problem when he was a teen, a change in diet and exercise stoped him from drooling though. Try eating heathy if you don't already, lots of greens will keep your skin super clean and who knows, maybe it'll make you stop drooling like it did my brother. You could always just dehydrate yourself by doing a short run at night as well.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I will never fall alseep in class, I just know I would talk in my sleep or even sleep walk, and that would be very uncool. :eek:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: JudistPriest
i dont know how you can stop drooling (i drool but i think its funny) but you can tape a towel to your chin and that should help keep the drool off your chin

This is totally OT to this thread, but: I don't know if this was intentional or not, but (assuming your nick is from the band), you misspelled it. It's Judas Priest.......not "Judist" Priest. Please ignore me if this was intentional for whatever reason.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
You could always attach one of those dentist saliva sucking thingies to your mouth b4 you go to sleep:)

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNemesis
Originally posted by: ndee

If you call them chix0rs you shouldn't have to worry about them seeing you drool...

well they think I r0x0r, so I may call them chix0rs. :D

I hate somethings, but still I talk like it :)

katka

Jun 19, 2001
I found sleeping on my back fixed this problem

I think that this may be correct. Also get your nose unclogged so that you can breathe properly, an ENT doctor should be able to find the problem. Since your problems have gone on for a while I imagine?, you can also tie a strong ribbon under the chin and on top of the head which will keep your mouth closed until your body is "trained" to do so.