How to setup fans in my new build

weaslefluff

Aug 14, 2014
I got a Fractal Design Define R5 that comes with two fans (one front, one back). I got an additional two Noctua NF-A14 fans. I'm putting in a Samsung 960 M.2 drive, a 1080 TI GPU and an Intel 7820X in it with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler on it. Where would be the best places for the fans?

I'll do mild overclocks on the CPU and GPU - nothing extreme. My goal is as quiet as possible with excellent performance.

My current plan is to put the front case fan on the bottom and the two Noctua's on the front. But that leaves three fans blowing in and only one blowing out. Is that a problem? Would it make sense to put an additional fan blowing out the top of the R5? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
If the top fan is shrouded well and you don't see it, I would think it's fine.. however if you have fans out the back and fans behind front panel, the sound will be shielded and it will be quieter than if you put one on the top so you can hear it directly..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have 3 intake fans (2 front, 1 bottom), and one exhaust fan in that case with no issues/concerns.

Like GoStumpy said, if you add an exhaust fan on top, it will allow noise to escape. Plus all my fans run at lower RPMs, and everything stays very cool.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Just make sure the case has positive pressure. Dust will always get in, even on a fanless system. The positive pressure will make it want to leave. Negative pressure brings in more air easily. But same with dust. With so many different fans out there and db ratings. The choice is really yours. But I always said 4 parts air in, 3 parts out. That way only certain areas build up the evil nehalem spiders.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just make sure the case has positive pressure. Dust will always get in, even on a fanless system. The positive pressure will make it want to leave. Negative pressure brings in more air easily. But same with dust. With so many different fans out there and db ratings. The choice is really yours. But I always said 4 parts air in, 3 parts out. That way only certain areas build up the evil nehalem spiders.

I think that -- logically -- filtering the intake fans is also an imperative for more intake CFM than unfiltered -- insofar as adding up fan specs or choosing the N of fans . . .

That case looks a lot better from a functional perspective if you examine the photo-gallery at the manufacturer, Egg and other sites. The fact that an NH-D15 will fit but crowd out easy access may be a blessing in disguise. But even so, there are coolers marginally more effective, more compact and lighter in weight. Unless the OP already purchased the NH-D15 or he is recycling one already in his possession, he might look at the ThermalRight Le Grand Macho or "LGM." It provides unfettered access to the forward memory slots on a motherboard, works even better with a $7 accessory duct, and weighs about 90 grams less than the D15, while performing better than the latter by about 1C degree for a common testbed and thermal wattage.

Personally, for these types of air-cooled builds, I incline to block off the top-side vent(s). Nor do I favor much the installation of fans there as intake or exhaust. If I did, I think I'd use those vents for an exhaust fan. A second exhaust channel offers a possibility that you can split the intakes and channel airflow separately to the exhausts. More likely, a bigger case would be desired for that sort of idea. Doesn't mean such a thing is impossible for the R5, though . . .

weaslefluff

Aug 14, 2014
I think that -- logically -- filtering the intake fans is also an imperative for more intake CFM than unfiltered -- insofar as adding up fan specs or choosing the N of fans . . .

That case looks a lot better from a functional perspective if you examine the photo-gallery at the manufacturer, Egg and other sites. The fact that an NH-D15 will fit but crowd out easy access may be a blessing in disguise. But even so, there are coolers marginally more effective, more compact and lighter in weight. Unless the OP already purchased the NH-D15 or he is recycling one already in his possession, he might look at the ThermalRight Le Grand Macho or "LGM." It provides unfettered access to the forward memory slots on a motherboard, works even better with a $7 accessory duct, and weighs about 90 grams less than the D15, while performing better than the latter by about 1C degree for a common testbed and thermal wattage.

Personally, for these types of air-cooled builds, I incline to block off the top-side vent(s). Nor do I favor much the installation of fans there as intake or exhaust. If I did, I think I'd use those vents for an exhaust fan. A second exhaust channel offers a possibility that you can split the intakes and channel airflow separately to the exhausts. More likely, a bigger case would be desired for that sort of idea. Doesn't mean such a thing is impossible for the R5, though . . .
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yes, I have already purchased the NH-D15 so I'm going with that. I will keep the top vents sealed and I'll go with the two Noctua fans on the front and the original front R5 fan will be on the bottom as an intake as close to the power supply as I can put it. I have no 2.5/3.5 hard drives in the case, so I'll just remove those cages to make more room for the front fans to deliver air to the case. I think this will be rather effective.