How to send packages from UK to US?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone got any ideas? I've been selling some bits on eBay, and they are quite popular - however, I'm having trouble sending stuff to the US.

The problem is that the goods are worth between $15-20, and currently Royal Mail/USPS are managing rather a poor batting average at getting them to where they are supposed to go.

I can't send them registered, because the US doesn't accepted registered mail. My profit margin takes a significant hit, if I have to send another consignment. UPS want about $25, which is a bit steep. I've sent some 'recorded - signed for' but they don't always get a signature at the far end, they just get dropped in the mail box, and I can only claim compensation if it is lost on the UK side.

Any ideas for any alternatives?

BlueApple

Banned
Jul 5, 2001
I always have good luck with the Royal Mail, on both ends of the transaction. You could try Fed Ex/DHL/Airborne Express, but it will be on the expensive side. In the auctions, say that buyer will pay actual shipping costs and 3 quid packing/service charges.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you tried RM swiftair? - they advertise this as being a priority airmail service, handled seperately and by dedicated couriers, rather than going with normal airmail shipments, which is then followed up by priority mail service in the destination country.

It also offers limited barcode tracking etc., so I wonder if this might not be a better bet than more conventional airmail.

Their information is unclear as to whether there is compensation for lost shipments, as they advise that swiftair will be able 'to give yourself extra peace of mind that it has arrived safely.', yet at the same time encourage you to take out recorded.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've tried to send registered mail to the US, but the post office would not accept it. In the end, I had to send it recorded, which is supposed to get a signature (and usually does), but is only insured for £27.

And, sure enough when I checked on the royalmail web site, the US and Canada are conspicuous for their absence on the list of 'countries accepting registered mail'.

Oct 9, 1999
hummm.. i am quite positive that the last topgear issue was registered mail.

It said registered on it..

I bought stuff from amazon.co.uk and it came in via royal mail book post and one came in via registered mail. I know it cause it had that blue sticker on top.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I've gotten a registered letter from the UK recently & send them all the time to the UK. Your local office may be unfamiliar with the process.

I recently moved & had to teach my new post office how to send items registered.