How to sell back a monitor

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
My friend has a 19" Compaq monitor that he bought last year before he went off to college. It's too big for him so he's looking to trade or sell it in. He says it's a good monitor that he payed a lot for (he told me about 600). Anyways, where would he have have the best luck in trading or selling it? He wants to replace this monitor with a 17" reasonably flat monitor. He'd be happy with about half of what he payed for. What do you guys think?

Feb 24, 2001
ya know there is a for sale/trade forum here dont ya ;) otherwise ebay or just in the local paper. shipping will be a biggy on a monitor.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Yeah, I agree.....advertise in FS/FT Forum.......don't forget though.....shipping is going to be high!;):) Good Luck!:)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Best to sell it in a local newspaper, or in a local newsgroup, to avoid those pesky shipping charges.

If you do decide to ship it, make SURE to pack it extremely well. Those package handlers like to use the force of momentum (read: stumbling around with your package) to move your package around.

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
I think he was hoping he could trade it in at some store. Are there any stores or computer places that buy back second-hand monitors?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'm SURE in LA you could find a used computer shop that would buy it from you, but they won't give you much.

You would likely get more money using Fleabay or the paper.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I would think shipping a monitor is a b!tch unless you have the original box and packing materials (styrofoam). Even though N8Magic drinks bad coffee he has a good suggestion. Sell it in your local newspaper, try listing the ad to run Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Some newspaper even have classifieds online.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In L.A., we have so many computer users, it shouldn't be hard to find a buyer for a decent monitor. Your freind has to remember that this is not a new item, and the price of stuff is constantly falling. You can get a much better than cheapo 19&quot; monitor (ViewSonic or equiv) for a little over $350, and a refurb from a local vendor (which means warrantee service without shipping is also local) goes for about $225 - $250 so he'll have to price it accordingly.

He could post an ad in The Recycler. It's free for individuals, and it's both on line and in print. Users can scan by are (Valley, Hollywood, etc.) or all over Southern California.

Good luck. :)

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be sure to tell him. Maybe I should also tell him that it's not a good idea to buy Compaq...;)