How to run dual LAN ports on NForce 2

MogyBear

Oct 21, 2002
I have an MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR, and it came with one onboard ethernet port. I installed a separate ethernet card, but I can not get it so that my computer acts as a router. I know this is a standard feature of the NForce 2 southbridge, but I can't seem to get it to work. I can RECEIVE signals on both ports, but I still can not get it to work as a router. Any suggestons? Thanks.

gunrunnerjohn

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2002
I've never hard of this before, but let's assume for the moment that it's routing ability is fact. I suspect it would ONLY apply if the MB was designed with two NIC's on-board, otherwise how would the chipset have any idea where the other NIC was?

foshizzle

Aug 16, 2003
I'm pretty sure that there aren't any motherboards with a built-in router. When you use a computer as a router, all of the routing is usually done in the software.

thatbox

Dec 5, 2002
If I'm understanding you, you want to basically:
NETWORK/INTERNET-->NForce2-->Second comp.
I have an A7N8X Deluxe and ran this setup for a while. I thankfully got to use XP to do it (so what if its a letdown overall, its got easy network setup capabilities). Its as easy as looking at your network connections. Heres the deal, if interpreted the problem correctly:
Picture of my Network Connections, with play-by-play
Sorry if i went off in the wrong direction.

Edit: Of course, this means the first comp must be on. Ive never heard of it any other way...

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
the only nforce 2 that can do this is the ASUS A7N8X DLX You must use the 3com as the NIC basically all it does is convert patch cable into a crossover. I don't think other nforce2's can do this.

MogyBear

Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for the help. thatbox, I see exactly the screen that you showed me. The only problem is that when I plug the other port in, it still shows as being disconnected. Oh well.

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
You need to use winodws built in ICS to have your PC do routing functions.
My advice, dont do it, go and buy a 425 router. You are MUCH better off for too many reasons to get into.