How to run a VPN for just a certain application safely ?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Step one: Sign up for a VPN account
Step two: Install and run their app
Step three: do whatever you wanted to do

I use IP Vanish, they have so far been very fast and consistent for me.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
If you only want a single app to go over the VPN you will need to figure out which IP addresses that app is trying to reach. Then add route entries into your route table to send that traffic over the VPN and the rest of the traffic over your standard internet. It's called a split tunnel. It's not usually worth it.

Reactions: PliotronX and KMFJD

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
If you only want a single app to go over the VPN you will need to figure out which IP addresses that app is trying to reach. Then add route entries into your route table to send that traffic over the VPN and the rest of the traffic over your standard internet. It's called a split tunnel. It's not usually worth it.

Not in my experience. I've never gotten even close to line speed with any VPN I've tried, so if I don't need to operate standard applications and web browsing over a VPN, I avoid it at all costs.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Not in my experience. I've never gotten even close to line speed with any VPN I've tried, so if I don't need to operate standard applications and web browsing over a VPN, I avoid it at all costs.

It depends on a lot of factors though. Speed isn't usually the concern of a VPN. It's confidentiality. Split tunneling can easily (without careful configuration) make that confidentiality worthless. For example, you might have a private service going over the tunnel, but DNS is not. HTTP requests go over the tunnel, but not all http requests so you leak to advertisers.

I think losing speed is acceptable if you actually need the vpn. Now if the vpn is just for access (no confidentiality), then use split tunnel. No reason to be concerned.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
They work in that they encrypted your traffic and send it to a endpoint for delivery. That traffic is protected in transit. What is sent and what is found on the other end is another story.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Do VPNs even work? I've read articles that said they are essentially smoke and mirrors.
That will depend on what you are using the VPN for.

If you are using it to encrypt your traffic between your device and the VPN server then yes it works
If you are using it to access the network hosting the VPN then yes it works (i.e. access your home/work network)
If you are using it to hide what you are doing on the internet, well that depends on how much trust you have in the provider of your VPN.................................................

Plar

Aug 6, 2018
For Windows
1. Raise VPN without daws use remote gateway
2. Register routes for service via VPN
Your program will work through vpn and only.

For example: if your service has IP 1.2.3.4. You get IP 187.258.21.2 via VPN
the route will look like this

Simon96

Oct 26, 2018
This will tell you whether they operate outside of "fourteen eyes" jurisdictions and logs are volatile.

Thanks for sharing this site bro. Is this website shows authentic data and covering all functional VPN services in the world?