How to RMA a motherboard

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
So, my MSI K8N Neo Platinum died on me friday night, so now I have to send it back to MSI for another one. I have never done this before, so I was wondering what I am supposed to do. A lot of you use the term RMA, but I don't even know what this stands for, I've just figured out from context it means to send it back. What should I do? Please be specific.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
First find their RMA request form at their website, located here: http://www.msicomputer.com/msi_user/msi_rma/default.asp. After they've emailed you back with different things to try, try them all (RMAing is never fun, try to avoid it as best as possible). Finally once they've determined that your motherboard is really dead, they'll send you an RMA number.

Place your motherboard back in its original box, in its original bag, which is an anti-static bag. If you don't have it get one, you'll recognize the material (kind of a thick plastic). Finally record the serial and product number (which should be on the box itself) and make sure you have em handy (though you might not need them). Place the box in another bigger cardboard box, with lots of foam peanuts and whatnot, along with a copy of the RMA sheet they emailed to you and that you should've printed out. Tape it up, write the RMA number TWICE (that's TWO TIMES) on the outside of the box, along with their address and your shipping address. Get over to your local post office and send it abroad.

You should receive a new (or repaired) one within two weeks, and MSI has a RMA tracking tool located here: http://216.158.218.35/eflow/rma_enduser.aspx.

Dos and don'ts:

DO: Make sure the motherboard is in an anti-static bag. Static is a computer's worst enemy.

DON'T: Use crap around the house such as t-shirts and tissue paper to package your motherboard. Some of these can hurt the motherboard.

DO: Use a lot of peanuts. If your motherboard breaks during shipping, that's 130 bucks down the drain.

DON'T: Lose any of the numbers, RMA, Serial, or Product. Most of the time you won't need them but if you ever do and you lose them, well, just hang onto them.

DO: Expect a used board. Most of the time they'll send you a previously RMA'd board from someone else (but repaired and fully functional). Don't fuss though, good motherboards are among the longest living computer parts (if not abused).

Good luck with your RMA!

EDIT: Don't send back the components!

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004
From MSI's warranty info:

1. Remove all accessories and spare parts, and return ONLY the Bare product!
MSI is not responsible for accessories. Accessories will not be returned. DO NOT send any accessories to MSI, including, but not limited to:
? Adapters
? Back Panel
? Cables
? Drivers
? Software
? Literature
? Manuals
? Mounting Brackets

Do NOT send them accessories, as they will not send them back to you!

kolt

Dec 25, 2004
I was wondering if you would share your trouble with the group. How long did your MB last? Were you overclocking it? Did you do something like drop, kick, or abuse the board or did it just up and quit? I own the same board and with all the dirty talk surrounding this product I kinda wish I went another direction. However not being one to cry over spilled milk, I am doing what I can to make it last. Thanks

Azsen

Sep 20, 2004
Over here in NZ we ask for a replacement from the retailer and they send us a forward replacement to keep us going, then we take the new motherboard out, and ship the busted mobo back to them in the same box. :)

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: kolt
I was wondering if you would share your trouble with the group. How long did your MB last? Were you overclocking it? Did you do something like drop, kick, or abuse the board or did it just up and quit? I own the same board and with all the dirty talk surrounding this product I kinda wish I went another direction. However not being one to cry over spilled milk, I am doing what I can to make it last. Thanks

Here is my original troubleshooting forum.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=32&threadid=1492039

I did not overclock or abuse the board in any way. I hadn't even opened up the case for about a month, yet this still happened.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: villageidiot111
Originally posted by: kolt

Here is my original troubleshooting forum.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=32&threadid=1492039

I did not overclock or abuse the board in any way. I hadn't even opened up the case for about a month, yet this still happened.

If it makes you feel better, my Intel 845 MoBo died within 1 minute of initial install last year, literally. It was a pain in the arse to get Intel to replace the board because at the time, the board was in shortage. Outpost.com refused to take the dead board back despite it died within 1 hour of arriving to my door. Took Intel 3 weeks to send a replacement. Luckily the replacement has worked well ever since.