How to remove sound deadening?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by dkm777, Nov 16, 2012.

1. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

I know this may sound like stupid question, but did anybody try to remove sound deadening material from a computer case? Thing is I applied Be Quiet material on the side panels of my Lian Li case that is made of multiple layers of bitumen, foam and fabric. The glue holding the layers together lost its stickiness from the heat and the layers have separated leaving only the layer of sticky bitumen on the side panels.
    Now here comes the hard part - is there a way of removing bitumen from aluminum without damaging it? I tried heating it with a hairdrier and it did come off a bit but I almost tore the skin on my fingertips trying to pry it off. I don't have a heat gun, but if it is the only way then I'm fully prepared to get one. I understand that whatever the method I'll have to clean the messy residue of glue and tar with some strong solvent - good thing anodized aluminum does not get damaged by it.

#1 dkm777, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

If the surface isn't painted, try using a plastic scraper and a hair dryer. If the surface doesn't react with the strong solvent, use thinner to soak the gummy material and it should soften to a point where you could scrape it easily.

3. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

Good idea about the plastic scraper. I'll have to go to the hardware store today and pick one up.

4. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

After the heat gun and scraper, use Goo Gone for the remaining residue. Spray on, let it sit a few minutes, and it'll wipe it right off.

[​IMG]

5. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

I hear a lot about this stuff. If only it was available in Lithuania...

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Diamond Member

Came here to recommend this.

7. MrK6

MrK6 Diamond Member

Quick organic chemistry lesson: like dissolves like. Different adhesives have different compositions and the more "like" your solvent is, the quicker and better it will remove the adhesive. Typical solvents on a scale of most polar to most nonpolar are: isopropyl alcohol, acetone, Goo Gone (or other oil-based solvents). Isopropyl is good for a lot of various tapes/gunks, acetone is great for super glue, Goo Gone is good for some of the heavier adhesives. Sometimes you can't tell by the physical appearance/texture/"stickiness" of an adhesive so you'll have to test. Heat of course helps any solvent do its magic. :)

8. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

MrK6, thanks for the lesson :). I wasn't that good at chemistry.
    Anyway, I've been scraping for almost an hour and I already have 4 blisters. The "pry with your fingers" method leaves the least residue, but I'm almost out of fingers :D. I must say, this is my first and last time using third-party sound deadening. Not only did it not help much in the sound department, it increased my temps and is being a total b*tch to remove.
    Also - this tiny case must go, biggest pain to work with ever. What was I thinking?

#8 dkm777, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  9. MrK6

MrK6 Diamond Member

Actually I was off. :p I re-read that and it didn't look right, sure enough I reversed Isopropyl alcohol and acetone (acetone is more polar). In the end, the principle still stays the same, like dissolves like. Here's a quick reference: http://www.chemical-ecology.net/java/solvents.htm . Anywho, don't destroy your hands, let the solvent due to work and let it soak in to the adhesive. Isopropanol would be a good middle ground, but it might take time for it to work.

In the end, the best way to sound dampen is to not make it in the first place. Use quiet fans, isolate/soft-mount your HDD's, and use a heavy case (steel). And sometimes you have to build small just for the challenge, I'll bet it was a good learning experience nevertheless. :thumbsup:

10. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

OK, got the bitumen stuff off one side panel. Tried acetone and purified gasoline (don't know the proper English term for this) and the gasoline, being a petroleum product worked much better. But I'll leave the final cleaning for tomorrow. I'll probably use over 9000 rolls of paper towels to get this thing clean.

11. aigomorla

aigomorla Cases&Cooling Mod<br>PC Gaming Mod<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

LOLOLOLOLOL...

i tend to just buy a new case as its less headache.. less work.

But yeah getting that goo off is a Pain in the butt... not to mention your hands start smelling bad that your dog wont come near you.

12. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

I actually thought about buying new side panels. I think Lian Li sells them separately.

13. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

Finally finished one panel. I think I'll leave the other one as is - such a mess.

14. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

a heat gun works wonders. I use it to remove most anything.