How to put personal website on resume

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
I'm applying for a job (web development) in a different field than I am currently in (aerospace).

All of my school/professional experience has been coding embedded C and LabVIEW stuff. I've actually been making websites since something like the 7th grade, but I've never had a real job in web development, nor have I had any official PHP training - it's all been done in my personal time.

Anyway, a little while ago I had this idea for a site, built it from scratch - I even made a Facebook application for it (betchoo.com). This was all done for fun, really. So I'm wondering how I can include that site in my resume.

I've also done some personal sites (blogs, family photo albums, etc) but I don't know if I should include those in my resume.

Ideas?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
If you want to include Betchoo, I'd do it. The site seems a little sparse, but it shows off what you can do. Then you can say something like "Other reference work available upon request"

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
How do you like GoDaddy.com web hosting and how much are you paying?

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
just put it in under related experience. It doesn't matter if someone paid you or not, the fact is that you did it and they can go there and see what you did.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
From what I have seen, it is very common for prospective employers to ask for a portfolio of your previous work when applying for web development jobs. Either add a section to your resume for it, or include it much like you would professional references.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
If anyone is interested, I included it as a "Personal Project" - I also have Academic and Industry projects, so I figured it tied in nicely.

Betchoo.com ? Founder
oDesigned and developed social polling site entirely in PHP and MySQL
oDeveloped Facebook application, seamlessly integrating the site and application
oBuilt within the Joomla framework

The hard part was figuring out what to call it without making it sound like I was running an illegal gambling site. "Social polling" was what I came up with.

And FYI - if you're applying to a web dev position, Facebook application experience will make hiring managers crap themselves with excitement. That and AJAX. I sent my resume out and got an immediate call back saying they were impressed - in-person interview tomorrow.

Rossman - check your PMs - godaddy is alright - no CRON jobs which is lame, but it's cheap (~$5/month).