How to protect laptops in a Chemical Laboratory Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone have any suggestions?

We want to get some laptops for our chem-lab, but don't want to fork out the fortune for Panasonic Toughbooks (I don't even know if they are solvent resistant).

Are there any products out there that are like laptop condoms that would withstand solvents like Acetone, methanol, acetonitrile or miscellaneous acids?

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Acetone and methanol would probably be any... if not on. Not sure about the others though.

Easiest solution though keep them away from the chemicals, unless that would that be to hard to do?

xalos

May 31, 2002
We have stuff like this at school for our keyboards. But, I can't see a logical way to spill proof a laptop without making it overheat. Using an external monitor and hooking up a keyboard and mouse in the work area would be your best bet. Then, just place the laptop where it would be safe.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
organic solvents would probably be fine on the keyboard/mouse, they can be used as cleaning agents

the acids..I'm not really sure. seems like they would damage the plastic. maybe make sure you dont get any large amounts on there?

also put some type of towel around the laptop that can soak any spills. maybe invest in a stand so that the laptop isnt sitting on the same surface of any potential spills

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Don't toss your laptop in a vat of acid and then have it come back and try to kill you while it laughs the entire time...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Just keep the laptops away from chemicals. We keep our laptops on our desks. We don't use lab computers that run machines like our LC/MS with gloves on, etc.... We have yet to have a computer die because someone spilled something on it, as we just don't keep the chemicals near the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.