How to Properly Shrink Partition to clone on smaller HD

araknis

Oct 19, 1999
I have a multiple partition HD which totals 512GB. I am trying to shrink the data partition by ~35GB in order clone the complete image to a 480GB HD. I used gparted and reduced the partition size, but when using clonezilla to clone it to the 480GB HD, it still shows up as as 512GB image. Any tips on getting this to work?

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
I think* that Clonezilla offers multiple options. One is "whole disk". Other is "one partition". Each partition you can copy/fit.

* Haven't used Clonezilla in years. It must have progressed?

araknis

Oct 19, 1999
I think* that Clonezilla offers multiple options. One is "whole disk". Other is "one partition". Each partition you can copy/fit.

Was hoping not to have to clone each partition and then manually create the last one to fit on the smaller HD. Is there a way to clone a HD to not take into account the "unallocated" space?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I'm assuming you have a C: partition that is OS and system files, and then a separate data partition? In that case, just clone the C: partition, then manually create another partition from the left over space and do a simple file copy of your data.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Before you try this you might try to clean up the drive of old save points and create a new save point to replace them. Then try to get rid of apps and programs you dont need. If you upgrade from another OS to Win 10, then sometimes the old OS was backed up. That can be deleted also.
Then you could try shrinking the partitions down to the size of the new Drive.
I watched Carey Holzman do this on one of his videos. I think he used some kind of program to reszIe or to ignore the unused space.

program was Acronis.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
One of Acronis' TI's options is proportional cloning. It does it just fine as long as the data will fit.

Drassx

Dec 5, 2018
There is a great feature in Macrium Reflect that allows you to shrink unused space on each partition. Theres youtube videos and directions available but basically once you select the disk you want to clone to drag each partition down (in order recommended) as you drag each partition down stop on the ones you would like to shrink and click the partition properties then you can simply move the bar on the right to the left to shrink the partitions, then rinse repeat and they are all there then clone the disk. Thats how i do it anyway im sure theres prolly a better way, but i found this to be pretty easy and successful. Hope this helps!

Last edited: