How to properly quit job if you have vacation you want to use up first?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 5, 2001
If you have 2 weeks of vacation it would be like this:

Dear Boss,

I will be resigning my postion effective February 7. My last working day will be January 21.

Thank you,

You

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: senseamp
I have about 6 weeks vacation. I want to use 3, cash out 3.

If you can cash 3, why not cash 6? Im thinking you wont be able to cash any of it and should use as much as you can. Do you have another job lined up yet that you have to start on a certain date?

if not, take 3 weeks, work 2 weeks, take 3 more weeks, give your notice when you return

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Why would I not be able to cash out any of it, if the California law says they have to pay me those days? I am working for an ethical, law obiding company.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Why would I not be able to cash out any of it, if the California law says they have to pay me those days? I am working for an ethical, law obiding company.

You have nothing to worry about. The company must pay you for your accrued vacation time.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Yes, I have 45 days to sign up for Cobra. Msparish, that is a good idea if I can just have the option of signing up for Cobra retroactively.
Yes, my company will pay out my vacation if I quit. My main concern is only with the Medical coverage for the 3 weeks I take as vacation.
So if I wait till say 7th of the month to quit, and start new job on 30th of the month, will my current company insurance cover me through the rest of the month? I thought it is canceled immediately after I quit. I guess the best way for me to go may be just to put in my notice say 5 weeks ahead of time and tell my boss I want to take 3 weeks of my vacation before I quit. I don't think he wants to burn bridges with me either, so it should be mutually agreeable, and if not, I can do the retroactive Cobra trick if I should need insurance in between. Is there a downside to letting your coverage lapse between jobs for a few weeks? I thought insurance companies reward you for having continuous uninterrupted coverage.

Whether your existing coverage will remain valid until the end of the month (if you quit on the 7th) varies by employer.

Don't worry about keeping continuous coverage. As long has you do not have a 63 day lapse between health coverage, your new insurance can't have pre-existing condition exclusions.

As an example, my wife quit her last job in August (she quit on the 10th, insurance ended on the 15th). She didn't sign up for COBRA even though her new health insurance didn't start for a few weeks. Had something gone wrong (e.g. an accident) before the new coverage started, she could have signed up for COBRA. It would have been retroactive from the time her health insurance expired (we would have had to pay retroactive premiums though). Fortunately, she had no need for health care during those weeks, so we didn't sign up and pay COBRA premiums. Since her insurance did not lapse for more than 63 days, the new policy can not exclude any pre-existing conditions.