How to prevent the bathroom mirror from fogging up?

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
I can't be the only one with this problem. When I get out of the shower our mirror is covered with a thick coat of fog. We don't have a fan in there. We barely have a window, and I keep that open during my shower but it doesn't help. Has anyone invented a remedy for keeping the mirror clear? It's just a pain in the ass if you wanna use the mirror right after a shower. You can wipe off the mirror with a towel but still the mirror is blurry. Any suggestions?

And I like the warm water.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Various anti-fog treatments will lessen the fog, but may not remove it completely. Try products sold at automotive stores. I've also used a anti-fog treatment for my ski goggles on mirrors and they seem to work well.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Take a cold shower.

Just kidding. ;)

You might try the anti-fog stuff they sell for coating the inside of windshields, they also might have mirrors with heating elements in them (just a thought, aka rear window defroster).

Viper GTS

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
Keep the bathroom door open

Thing is, I live in one of those shared student housing homes where every square inch of the house is being rented to 20 different people. The turnover rate is pretty high. And I'd be afraid one of them would start to dry heave if they caught a glimpse of my hairy ass.

Good suggestion though. Any more?

Scabilian

Jan 16, 2001
smash out a hole in the top of your door and insert a 120mm fan to suck the steamy air outta the room. ;) :D

i used to wipe my mirror with a cold wet wash cloth. it helped for about 2 mintues then it fogged back up..

Nov 7, 2000
Shave your ass, then open the door. ;) I have the same situation in my bathroom at home, although there I do leave the door open. Keep in mind that trapping all that moisture can damage wallpaper, paint, sheetrock etc. But if youre renting I doubt you give a SHlT. Maybe you should install your own fan... How does a giant hole in the ceiling sound???

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
Keep in mind that trapping all that moisture can damage wallpaper, paint, sheetrock etc. But if youre renting I doubt you give a SHlT.

You're right, I don't really care.

I guess I could go to kmart and buy a cheap fan to put right next to the mirror. The constant airflow should help a little bit.

Shy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Take a paper towel, wet it, and then rub it on a bar of hand soap. Wipe the mirror using this towel.

The next couple of times you take a shower, the soap residue on the mirror will keep it from fogging.

I just do this to a small area, where I need to see my face to shave, but theres nothing stopping you from just soaping up the whole mirror.

I think I discovered this on my own when i was little, but I don't remember. I probably just read it somewhere.

-Shy

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< And I'd be afraid one of them would start to dry heave if they caught a glimpse of my hairy ass. >>

so you know about it then! :D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<<

<< And I'd be afraid one of them would start to dry heave if they caught a glimpse of my hairy ass. >>

so you know about it then! :D
>>

How do you know about it?

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
This one girl told me to spray hair spray on the mirror. Never tried it though.

Jan 18, 2001
The mirror fogs up because its temperature is considerably less than the temperature of the air. Since you can't really control the air temp, you will have to warm the mirror. You can blow a hair dryer on the mirror before or after taking the shower, or better yet, rig up a flexible vise that will hold the hair dryer so that you can turn it on while you shower.

DoubleN

Aug 8, 2000
I haven't tried this, but I've heard that you can prevent your mirror from fogging up by putting some on the mirror and then wiping it off. This will prevent the fog from going onto the window similar to the soap thing that someone else mentioned.

bigd480

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
try a very thin layer of dishwashing liquid.... it's what snorkelers use on the insides of their masks to prevent fogging...

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Ready for one that works?

Shaving Gel.. you know, stuff by Gillete or the likes?

Take it, put some on the mirror, smear a coating all over the mirror, wipe it off with a paper towel or such and viola. Wont fog up for a few weeks.

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Someone once told me Vinegar workz well on stuff like this. Try cleaning your mirror with a little vinegar. I was told it also works for the inside of your car windows.

KeyserSoze

HelloBrother

Apr 10, 2001
Great that you have that hairy ass... use it to get the vaps away by brushing it against the mirror.

:D

In a more serious note. Does it have a window?
The bathroom I mean...not the ass.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
To prevent the mirror from fogging up keep the glass above the dewpoint. Since you're taking hot showers this is difficult to do. Electric resistance heaters as previously suggested will work. You can always mount a copper coil beneath the mirror and put it in series with your hot water line that's feeding your showerhead. This way the glass will stay at the same temperature as the water and above the dewpoint in the room! :)

Cheers!

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

<< try a very thin layer of dishwashing liquid.... it's what snorkelers use on the insides of their masks to prevent fogging... >>

I'm a scuba diver and i've never heard about that.

I'll tell you what works, but it will be a total pain in the ass on a big mirror like that. Get some toothpaste (plain white original) and whipe it all over the window. Whipe every square inch so it feels like you are really rubbing it into the glass. After you rubbed it all in, rinse off all the toothpaste.

If it works 125 below the surface, it will work on your bathroom mirror. And by the way, those anti fog things are pretty much worthless pieces of crap. Once you go toothpaste, you'll never go back.

JasonG

Oct 9, 1999
You could always get one of those fog-free bathroom mirrors.

They're usually fairly small but can be used even in the shower!

Places like Brookstone sell them.

Like this one at Brookstone:

Fogless mirror

They have other ones as well.

Have fun.

Jason