how to power a phone/tablet from a light switch?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i have an old phone that i would like to mount near a normal light house switch.
i know i will probably need something like this gang box https://www.amazon.com/CARLON-THOMAS-BETTS-B225R-UPC-GANG/dp/B001DPXC2Y/
and i will 3d print some wall plate to make it look nice and clean like https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Seymour-TP262W-Master-Decorator/dp/B0001M6FRO/
now, what do i need to charge the phone? how to tap into the existing power line while still have the light switch function as normal?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Get one of these and install it into a double gang box with the switch. Then wire it to the hot and neutral wires of the switch in parallel.

It can do wireless charging or charge via one of the USB Ports.

Reactions: killster1

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Get one of these and install it into a double gang box with the switch. Then wire it to the hot and neutral wires of the switch in parallel.

This would definitely be the solution, but I would find a domestic company to buy it from so it's not junk and a fire hazard without recourse.

The other option would be to get a triple gang and put an outlet next to the switch that has usb ports and then hardwire the usb behind the plate.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

this is very interesting. i didnt know such a thing exists! for me a little too bulky. i need something more flushed into the wall.
i think this can work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SGQ6XXR/ . looking at the photos, i only see a label with "AC input." does it matter where my hot/neutral go to?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
this is very interesting. i didnt know such a thing exists! for me a little too bulky. i need something more flushed into the wall.
i think this can work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SGQ6XXR/ . looking at the photos, i only see a label with "AC input." does it matter where my hot/neutral go to?
I definitely wouldn't stick that in the wall unshielded like that. :eek: Remember, if you create a fire hazard doing this and burn your house down your insurance will probably deny your claim if they find out this was the cause.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Then just fashion a bracket for your old note with charge cable. You'll want to allow airflow behind the phone since constant ac power will make the phone warmer.

Or add a regular socket next to light switch. Mount phone to wall and just plug in a charger and charge the mounted phone at night. Lion battery doesn't really like to be charged at all times.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019

Then just fashion a bracket for your old note with charge cable. You'll want to allow airflow behind the phone since constany ac power will make the phone warmer.

Or add a regular socket next to light switch. Mount phone to wall and just plug in a charger and charge the mounted phone at night. Lion battery doesn't really like to be charged at all times.
This is kind of what I was thinking of except going with a 3x gang putting this as an outlet next to the switch and then connecting directly to the solder pads on the usb sockets behind the wall plate and running it to the phone. Then it would all look seamless. You could even use a silicone plug on the usb you're using to make sure it doesn't get used for anything else.

Reactions: pcgeek11

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Err you stil need access to the buttons on the side.

i wont need buttons. to turn on the phone, just press the home button. it will auto turn off. it's intended to see cameras in the house and control HomeAssistant as needed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
i wont need buttons. to turn on the phone, just press the home button. it will auto turn off. it's intended to see cameras in the house and control HomeAssistant as needed.

The Leviton I linked is your best bet.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
i was hoping to find something so my phone will be flushed, nothing sticking out
You said you were going to 3D print a cover. Could you 3D print something that will allow you to recess the phone into the wall?
Just remember what sdifox said about not having the phone perma-charging & air flow behind the phone.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This would definitely be the solution, but I would find a domestic company to buy it from so it's not junk and a fire hazard without recourse.

The other option would be to get a triple gang and put an outlet next to the switch that has usb ports and then hardwire the usb behind the plate.
if the thing burns your house down you still have noo recourse! The company won`t pay for a new house......

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Depends how the switch is wired. You're going to need a hot and neutral. If power feeds the switch, then the fixture, you're in luck. But if the power feeds the fixture, then goes to the switch, you won't have a neutral. You can cheat and use the ground but that's not a good idea.

A clean way to do it might be to replace the box with a double gang then install an outlet that has built in USB next to the switch then mount the phone then make a short USB cable. The outlet would be powered all the time and switch would work as normal for whatever it's switching.

I would not buy electrical stuff off Amazon though some of that stuff is built to a frightening standard. You are buying direct from China and not from a reputable retailer that will have a bit more scruntiny over what it sells because they don't want to burn people's houses down and be held liable.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Depends how the switch is wired. You're going to need a hot and neutral. If power feeds the switch, then the fixture, you're in luck. But if the power feeds the fixture, then goes to the switch, you won't have a neutral. You can cheat and use the ground but that's not a good idea.

A clean way to do it might be to replace the box with a double gang then install an outlet that has built in USB next to the switch then mount the phone then make a short USB cable. The outlet would be powered all the time and switch would work as normal for whatever it's switching.

I would not buy electrical stuff off Amazon though some of that stuff is built to a frightening standard. You are buying direct from China and not from a reputable retailer that will have a bit more scruntiny over what it sells because they don't want to burn people's houses down and be held liable.

you know you can buy Leviton stuff on Amazon right?

example

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
seeing how keeping it charged can be problematic, i will keep it simple for now lol
holder.jpg