How to "pop" the jaw back into position?

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Ok, last night while I was eating dinner I opened my mouth to talk and my jaw "popped" hurt initially. Then it felt strange and it hurt to chew. Thought it would go back to normal in a few hours and just stopped eating and went to watch the Thursday night lineup. Well it still hasn't gone back to normal. Still hurts when I chew or bite down in general. It's like my bottom teeth and top teeth don't align like they use to. Thought about asking someone to give me a shot (a punch) to see if that would work. I'm sure this happens often to some people, so how does one get it back to the "norm"?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Homerboy
They have things called "Doctors" that work on such things

dont listen to this moron. Get the biggest person you can find to punch you in the jaw. It works everytime. Also capture video of this and post it.

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004

Really...is that what they're called now?

I posted because I assumed that this isn't a rare thing and that someone has to know a way to do it.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I thought you said Jew, i was really confused :D :beer:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill

Surely you jest.

Nope. I'm serious. I saw a special on NOVA one time about it. Seems certain individuals will continue on with their higher education for 8+yrs to further themselves in the the voodoo art of "medicine" and spend their entire lives working towards making people feel better.

I know it sounds like its from outerspace (some theories point to this actually) but there is documented proof this practice has been around since the early stages of mindkind!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Trip on a cement block in the parking lot and put the smack down on the asphalt w/ your chin. Works every time.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Yep, sounds like TMJ to me. I had it too.

It will go away after a few weeks but your jaw will pop every morning when you first open it.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
If I yawn really big my mouth locks open. Causes an instant panic attack, and I actually have to pull down on my jaw to snap it out of place.

I hate yawning :(

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
the "popping" was probably a muscle moving in a way that it wasn't meant to. afaik, you can't pop your jaw (in the sense that you pop your knuckles). try massaging your jaw for a while. if that doesnt work, drown the pain with various alcohols then post with results

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Move your lower jaw slightly to the side (away from the side it's painful/locked into) and down a bit.

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: bonkers325
the "popping" was probably a muscle moving in a way that it wasn't meant to. afaik, you can't pop your jaw (in the sense that you pop your knuckles). try massaging your jaw for a while. if that doesnt work, drown the pain with various alcohols then post with results

Good in theory, but one drink puts me to sleep.

jiwq

Platinum Member
May 24, 2001
hmm, i do weird stuff like push up against the bottom of my chin/jaw while opening my mouth. dunno if that works for you.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Ramma2
If I yawn really big my mouth locks open. Causes an instant panic attack, and I actually have to pull down on my jaw to snap it out of place.

I hate yawning :(

WTH... you too? I have the same problem. Man its really painful when I go see a dentist coz my jaw pops every single time!