How To Play Crysis At Max Settings + Great Fps Easily

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
Hey Guys,

Want to run crysis at max settings and have it look and run excellently? I highly recommend checking out the Luxus Silentium Mod.

Luxus Silentium Mod

I downloaded it a few days ago on a whim since I went back to Windows XP from vista and missed how gorgeous Crysis looked.

I installed this mod (simply drop the autoexec.cfg in your game folder) and went in to play. Simply put the gameplay is more gorgeous and smooth than it was on DX10!

The game finally looked like it did in the teaser trailers and I was running 1680x1050 2xAA and everything else preset via the autoexec file, but basically max.

The game is gorgeous, I did not even run into lag on the *SPOILER** boss level on the carrier *END SPOILER*

Simply put you have to try this mod. I cant stop raving about it to my friends. Check the link above for images from it.

Download it, its 100kb max, try it out, you have nothing to lose!

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Lol, all these diff. configs are driving me up the wall.

As much as I dislike the game, I just run around in the first little bit, between the jump and first cut scene when you find that stranded ship.

Any takers as to which cryconfig works best on a moderately high system?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah some of the configs make the game look insanely good, like how it looked in old trailers.

Luxus Silentium seems to be a config to boost visuals and have better performance. It is probably good for mid to mid-high range systems.

The Ultra High Quality config by [HP] is more than just the hacked Very High DX9 config. It is for high-end systems only as it is for all-out awesome visuals. Here is a link.

There is also CCC, something's Crysis Configs. I forgot where that fit into the spectrum.

Since I have a pretty weak system, I plan to use Luxus Silentium to hopefully boost FPS a little bit, or actually my FPS is fine already, I would just like some better visuals without dropping FPS too much (putting Shaders to Medium on a shader-weak card like my 7800GT kills it). I got the Ultra High Quality config just to witness for myself how it looks, even though it will only run at like 10 fps, I just want to see it.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Cool. I was running the [HP] config before, but I'll give this one a shot!

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
I've been running a similar hacked together config since I started playing Crysis on DX9 in XP. It's very very pretty, and there were only a few moments where it felt too slow to play.

1920x1200 on the equivalent of mostly "very high" all around, with some tweaks to motion blur and some other bits that drug down FPS unacceptibly. Still, edge AA and sun shafts and all that jazz... Crysis blew my mind a couple times.

~MiSfit

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic
Yeah some of the configs make the game look insanely good, like how it looked in old trailers.

Luxus Silentium seems to be a config to boost visuals and have better performance. It is probably good for mid to mid-high range systems.

The Ultra High Quality config by [HP] is more than just the hacked Very High DX9 config. It is for high-end systems only as it is for all-out awesome visuals. Here is a link.

There is also CCC, something's Crysis Configs. I forgot where that fit into the spectrum.

Since I have a pretty weak system, I plan to use Luxus Silentium to hopefully boost FPS a little bit, or actually my FPS is fine already, I would just like some better visuals without dropping FPS too much (putting Shaders to Medium on a shader-weak card like my 7800GT kills it). I got the Ultra High Quality config just to witness for myself how it looks, even though it will only run at like 10 fps, I just want to see it.

Just tried that config. It is top notch as well!

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: skulkingghost

The game finally looked like it did in the teaser trailers and I was running 1680x1050 2xAA and everything else preset via the autoexec file, but basically max.

The game is gorgeous, I did not even run into lag on the *SPOILER** boss level on the carrier *END SPOILER*

No slow downs at all? Nothing under 30fps?

Bullshit. This is a nice config, I have used it.. but nothing really makes Crysis run smooth @1680x1050 HQ 2x AA.

My system last week when I used this:
E6600@2.8
8800 GT SC
4 GB Ram
Vista x64

And I still had to run at 1280x800 to be smooth. And even then it still would lag some.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I put the config in my base \Crysis folder (C:\Program Files\blahblahblah) and after loading up the game I didn't see a difference. Went into the system config and most of the options were set to custom, I'm guessin due to the config, so I turned shaders on High and it looked and ran like it did before when I've tried that option (without the config). Possibly I'm retarded and fucked something up, or maybe it just didn't give me any graphics/FPS increase.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic

Wow, that looks amazing. I'll give it a try.

Edit: It made my machine chug, and the only difference I could see was that the contrast was much higher - bright lights and dark shadows. Had to use night vision a lot. Gunshots might have been better too, it was hard to tell.

But easily one of the most fun things about Crysis is just destroying stuff in different ways - using strength to throw big table saws at buildings, shooting the fuel pods on heli's, blowing up guard towers.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: clamum
I put the config in my base \Crysis folder (C:\Program Files\blahblahblah) and after loading up the game I didn't see a difference. Went into the system config and most of the options were set to custom, I'm guessin due to the config, so I turned shaders on High and it looked and ran like it did before when I've tried that option (without the config). Possibly I'm retarded and fucked something up, or maybe it just didn't give me any graphics/FPS increase.
Same, I used the luxus silentium config and loaded up Crysis, all but Texture and Game Effects was set to Custom. So I left those all alone and started a new game. Can't really tell much difference. Mine ran fine before, I was just hoping for some better graphics but still be playable. But I don't see a difference.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm... I tried a bunch of different autoexec.cfg, taking three screenshots with each config at approximately the same area. Results:

I can't tell ANY difference between Luxus Silentium, Luxus Silentium 2, Luxus Silentium Lite 2, and no autoexec.cfg. My no autoexec/default config (before I tried any of these is)

1280x800, no AA/AF, no Vsync, Object/Shadow/Physics/Game Effects/Post Processing/Sound on Medium, everything else on Low, Motion Blur off.

Between all four of those, three screenshots each, I can't tell a single difference! :confused: Which sucks because I want a little better IQ.

As far as performance, LS seemed to perform a little better than without it. I didn't run the benchmark but my screenshots show LS performing better most of the time. LS2 seemed to be the fastest for me (tad faster than LS2 Lite and LS) but very unscientific so they could all be the same really.

So in all that time, I didn't accomplish anything. It still looks like crap but plays OK. Luxus Silentium didn't seem to do a thing.

I tried Cuban's Custom Crysis Configs. He has 5 configs, level 1-5, depending on your computer. Well I tried 3, it ran like poo (10-15 fps), but it was very good IQ. I then tried level 1, the lowest quality, and it ran 15-20 fps. It retained most of the excellent look of level 3, except the view distance was VERY awful, and it was too slow anyway.

What I want is some of the features of CCC configs with speed of LS. Mostly, the vegetation looks far better in CCC than in LS (which looks the same as default).

edit: For the hell of it, I tried the [HP] Ultra High Quality config. It slowed the whole thing down... I could barely type in the console. It said it was 4-5 fps and it was just awful. And it looked weird... way way too dark, the contrast seemed bad. So nothing looked any good. CCC at level 3 ran 3x as fast and looked pretty damn good.

So I'd recommend checking out Cuban's Custom Crysis configs if you guys have a good system and are looking for good IQ with decent performance.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I tried this Luxium config, and I saw no difference between it and the "default" Very High setting. Well, yes, as someone mentioned, the shadows are quite darker and the lights brighter... but that's it. And, well, MAYBE there's more sun beams through the vegetation in the level I'm playing right now but I'm not 100% certain that the config is doing it or it's just a placebo effect.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I tried various config tweak "packages", eg config files with 50+ tweaks in them designed to maximize performance & graphics. I went back to my own settings of all-medium with 5 or 10 tweaks and think it looks best this way. I guess it's just like, your opinion man...

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: CKent
I tried various config tweak "packages", eg config files with 50+ tweaks in them designed to maximize performance & graphics. I went back to my own settings of all-medium with 5 or 10 tweaks and think it looks best this way. I guess it's just like, your opinion man...
Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I spent about 2 hours last night trying configs and reading about parameters to tweak, but in the end, I think my 7800GT is just too weak in the shader area, so no matter what, it's not gonna be able to look much better than with no tweaks if I can't raise Shader Quality to Medium.

A lot of the tweaks and configs that people do, they have no clue what they really do. People where asking what this or that command does

r_usePOM=1

so he says "that command enables POM"

Oh really, wow what an expert!

There's only a few people who seem to really know what they are doing and have documented all the variables well and know how they affect things. Most just put random numbers in and make it look like crap.

Since Luxus Silentium didn't do anything for me, I'll just use my own Low and Medium settings, plus maybe 5-10 tweaks of my own that I know what they'll do. I don't think there's anyway I can use Medium Shaders unless I ran 800x600.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I'm with Marty on this.
What mod will help out my system (below) other than a hammer?
To make the FPS playable, it ends up looking much worse than any of my other games. BF2, for example, looks way better - and thats even after playing online. Why does it look so horrible on my system?

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: TheNiceGuy
Why does it look so horrible on my system?

I'm beginning to think it is impossible to run this game properly. I see you have a 22" monitor - so do I, and even though my machine kicks yours' arse, I still can't play at native res with detail turned up enough so the rocks don't appear out of nowhere.

Quad cores each at 3.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 @ ~950Mhz, 8800GT...

Its _so_ slow that I suspect getting another 8800GT, SLIing them, and overclocking them (giving me pretty much the most powerful consumer system possible at this time) wouldn't make much difference.

for comparison COD4 screams along at 100FPS native res/highest detail/full AA...

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
IQ with this mod definitely drops a notch from what I was playing with previously, most noticeably a decrease in texture quality. It did help FPS though, but I'm not totally sure it was strictly because of the mod. I also dropped in the command line I picked up in one of those crymod forum posts to pre-cache all level textures.

One thing I think this mod does to help FPS and overall performance is setting a hard limit on viewing distance. Crysis gets *really* jerky once you get out of the caves and are running around the sphere. I think a lot of this has to do with dynamic objects and the CPU/GPU having to account for and adjust in real-time to each asset. For instance, the space ship moves and as a result, the CPU and GPU need to calculate the physics, shaders and lighting for each dynamic object all at once.

Awesome game though, can't wait to be able to run it at higher settings in all its glory in 2 years.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow
I also dropped in the command line I picked up in one of those crymod forum posts to pre-cache all level textures.

Link?

TIA!

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Thor86
I also dropped in the command line I picked up in one of those crymod forum posts to pre-cache all level textures.

Link?

TIA!

Just wanted to clarify, I don't think this increased FPS all by itself, helps with jerkiness though for sure. Also make sure you have enough free system RAM or it won't help much, as the engine will just resort to its normal caching/dumping algorithms once it runs out of memory.

Crymod Forums Pre-Cache Command Line

Adius_Omega:
This is a very good config, some people might not like how bright it is, but I think it looks alot like the older Crysis footage. My framerate went up a little.
Also if you add this in your autoexec.cfg file:
e_precache_level 1
(I think, not sure if that's the exact command, I'm on a school computer)
It precaches all the level resources to improve framerate, but at the loss of a longer load time for the levels (Well worth it)

Anyways, thanks for this awesome config, it is surely the best one I have seen. I'm definatly keeping this one on.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001

Also if you add this in your autoexec.cfg file:
e_precache_level 1
(I think, not sure if that's the exact command, I'm on a school computer)
It precaches all the level resources to improve framerate, but at the loss of a longer load time for the levels (Well worth it)

Sweet thank you!

This one line got rid of the bad hitching in this game, and I am able to go back to using HPs Ultra High Quality config settings with 2x AA and it runs like a dream (1680x1050)! Texture quality and contrast/shadows are much better with HP config over LS config.