How to overclock nvidia videocards on Vista 32?

Ev3nt H0riz0n

Oct 1, 2008
The registry trick to enable coolbits doesn't work and the atitool didn't appear to change a thing. What tool do I need to download or please clarify the location of the Nvidia overclock menu if it can be enabled. Ive searched just about everywhere but either the posts were about outdated drivers or XP only.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I've tried all of the above and I miss the good old Coolbits that made it as easy as clicking on a button to test the highest attainable settings. None of them have been that braindead easy, but I'll agree with error8 on his choices at this point.

I've even tried eVGA's Precision Tool with my 9600GSOs just to see how it performed.

Ev3nt H0riz0n

Oct 1, 2008
Nvidia System tools works perfectly for me and I like how I can overclock the CPU, Motherboard, and Memory also. I would just like a recommendation for the 9600GSO on the core clock, memory clock and shader clock settings. I am currently only running the core clock at 660MHz which is 50MHz over factory defaults. Is there a ratio I should adhere to? Unfortunately Cooling is locked at 30%. Also, my friends have an Nvidia 8400 GS PCIE and an ATI Radeon X700 AGP are there any recommended overclocks for those like ones that get good performance for a temp under 65C.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Ev3nt H0riz0n
Nvidia System tools works perfectly for me and I like how I can overclock the CPU, Motherboard, and Memory also. I would just like a recommendation for the 9600GSO on the core clock, memory clock and shader clock settings. I am currently only running the core clock at 660MHz which is 50MHz over factory defaults. Is there a ratio I should adhere to? Unfortunately Cooling is locked at 30%. Also, my friends have an Nvidia 8400 GS PCIE and an ATI Radeon X700 AGP are there any recommended overclocks for those like ones that get good performance for a temp under 65C.

You can increase the fan speed at more then 30% with Riva Tuner, so it's not locked at all. Don't use recommended clocks for your videocard, overclock it yourself and see how far does it go. Different cards, even if they are the same model from the same manufacturer, overclock different, so a setting that worked for someone might give you artifacts or crashes.

Oh and don't bother to overclock an 8400 GS or a X700, since those cards are not good for gaming anymore and any marginal increase in performance will give you nothing.

Ev3nt H0riz0n

Oct 1, 2008
I was wrong you can change the cooling above 30% Nvidia System Tools I just didn't know how to use the profile system at the time. I have my card at factory default when the CPU is idle for over 99s and the overclock when it becomes active.
PS: There is a typo in the topic summary, I am obviously talking about a 9600 GSO.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I had the same question just recently, and nTune seemed to be working quite well. No complications with the program as far as I can tell.
In the past, I had used powerstrip back in XP days, but I don't think I miss it. Is there something powerstrip offers that ntune does not? Just curious.