How to open a port?

aakerman

Jul 22, 2002
Hey - I want to have port 1500 open on my desktop machine.

I used to have a linksys wrt54g wireless router, which was connected to my desktop machine via rj45 cable. In the router, I had forwarded port 1500 to the ip 192.168.1.100, which is the ip of my desktop (or so says ipconfig). This worked fine.

Then I got adsl, and had to add a second router - Zyxel Prestige 650-R. Now the port 1500 is closed, and I don't know how to open it. In the zyxel router, I have forwarded all ports to 192.168.1.1, which is the ip of the linksys router, to which my desktop is still connected - but it just doesn't work, even though I would think it to work.

Any ideas/suggestions?
(before anyone suggests it: I cannot remove any of the two routers, they both have to stay ;()

aakerman

Jul 22, 2002
What? I don't know the correct terms.. one is a PPPoE adsl router, dhcp disabled, one is a wireless router set to "static ip" mode, dhcp server enabled..

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
OK.

If the Routing is done by the first Router, the second has to be connected trough a Regular port in order to avoid double NAT.

It probably makes sense to use the DHCP and NAT of the Routing Router and make the Wireless Router a passive switch with an Access Point.

Doing so you do not have to be concern about port opening on two Routers.

:sun: