How to open a dead HDD, I want to gank the magnets

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Yea, so anyway, exactly what tool do I need to open up a dead hard drive? None of my tools work (Need a six-sided star shaped tool) and I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not pry it or bust it open.

Edit: Oh yea, I'd prefer to buy just the tool I need if possible. I don't want to buy an entire kit to get the tool I need.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
you need a small allen wrench or star wrench to unscrew the screws. good luck at prying the magnet from the piece of metal. It's quite strong.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
It's dead and you're looking to rip the magnets out of it, but yet you'd "rather not bust it open?"

That's like saying "I want to have sex with this girl, but I'd rather not insert my penis in there."

What the hell is wrong w/you? Just pry the goddamn thing open. Wuss.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
It's dead and you're looking to rip the magnets out of it, but yet you'd "rather not bust it open?"

That's like saying "I want to have sex with this girl, but I'd rather not insert my penis in there."

MichaelD knows whereof he speaks, you worthless peckerwood!

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
a small flat head jewelers screwdriver may work if you have one, ive used them on a few small torx heads with no problem, but finding the tool really shouldnt be that hard. try a hardware or auto parts store

dont see why you dont want to bust it open though; if you have a drill and a small drill bit you could just take the heads off the screws

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Originally posted by: xSauronx
a small flat head jewelers screwdriver may work if you have one, ive used them on a few small torx heads with no problem, but finding the tool really shouldnt be that hard. try a hardware or auto parts store

dont see why you dont want to bust it open though; if you have a drill and a small drill bit you could just take the heads off the screws

I don't have many tools, basically just a bunch of assorted screwdrivers. Hrm, I might just bust this thing open instead.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
You need a size T9 Torx screwdriver. I open HDs all the time at work. The platters are really shiny :Q I've placed them on top of the monitors at work so I can see when somebody's coming or looking over my shoulder :)

BTW, the magnets are nothing special.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
You need several different size screwdrivers, depending on the hard drive. I just took apart a few drives and I used a philips, T4, T6, and T8.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Chraticn
Hammer. big, claw. looks like a...hammer. Hit the HDD. Repeat until magnets are visible.

Post video of it on ATOT.

That's the way I did it.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
I used a big drill (with a small drill head) on the screws....

The thing actually rotated the screws open.... (just drill anti clock wise... )

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I bought one of these from Radio Shack to do some work on a hard drive once. Kronus tools seem higher quality than most small electronics tools.

BTW, that kit has 3 different star sizes.. so it will definitely open a hard drive.

faenix

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Cheers. :beer:

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I bought one of these from Radio Shack to do some work on a hard drive once. Kronus tools seem higher quality than most small electronics tools.

BTW, that kit has 3 different star sizes.. so it will definitely open a hard drive.

Yep, something like that is a priceless tool when working on computers, especially laptops. It has the T9 Torx bit, so it'll open probably 70% of all hard drives.