How to merge 2 different hard drives into one drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vaporize, Jul 7, 2003.

1. vaporize

vaporize Member

i have 2 hard drives on my computer one is C: and the other is D: drive. Now I want to merge the two hard drives into one drive. I know how to merge 2 partitions on the same drive but I dont know how to merge 2 physically seperate drives. I have Partition Magic 8 but I dont see an option to combine the 2 drives. Does anyone know how to put my C: and D: drives togeather?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - merge hard drives Forum Date
    Want to merge partitions on 2 drives General Hardware Oct 20, 2007
    Need to Merge Two Partitions... General Hardware Aug 8, 2007
    Merging Hardrive General Hardware Feb 19, 2007
    After merging partition, file can't show...! General Hardware Dec 10, 2006
    question: merge two hard drives into one General Hardware Jul 10, 2003

3. waylman

waylman Diamond Member

can't be done with PQ Magic........at least not to my knowledge. why do you want to do this anyway?

4. LED

LED Diamond Member

Eventhough it's recommended that both HD's be the same....RAID 0...:p

5. lameaway

lameaway Member

Get a cheap RAID controller, plug them both in, and run in a JBOD (just a bunch of disks) configuration. You'll also gain a free IDE channel or two.

6. vaporize

vaporize Member

thanks for the quick replies,

this is my old computer (7 years old). i am not sure if it supports raid and the hard drives are too uneven. one drive is 1 gig and the other is 5 gig. i dont want to spend any money on it. would partition magic 8 let me move all the files and os to the 5 gig drive?

7. dakels

dakels Platinum Member

*This is just a theory I havent tried this*

I would think of making a ghost image of both drives. Then copying that ghost image in 2 seperate partitions on a single drive. Then come in with parition magic and turning the 2 partitions to 1. Again I have never heard of this so I am not sure it works but I don't see why not. Just don't have 2 working OS's on the same partition ;)

I know can and have used with Norton Ghost taking a partition and create a new smaller partition and ghost it. Like if you have a 80 gig drive one partition but only 40 gigs of data on it. You can make a 40 gig partition image and telling Ghost to place all your data on it. In effect it optimizes/defrags that partition space and creates a smaller partition. Then you can put that ghost image anywhere you want. In fact you may be able to place those images on the same partition but I don't know how prudent that wouild be.

Of course there is always copying the files straight up from one drive to the other :p

8. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

Win2k can span partitions using the disk manager.

9. LeeTJ

LeeTJ Diamond Member

win2k can also mount a HD as a folder. that's pretty nice, mount your 2nd hd = My Documents or something.

then store all your important files on second HD. makes it nice if you ever have to reformat and reinstall your OS.

10. bigpow

bigpow Platinum Member

Win2000 or WinXP Pro supports Dynamic Disk (if you want it from DOS level, the only way is to use RAID0)