How to (mass/auto) fix iTunes id3 tags

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The vast majority of my itunes collection is CDs. I've come across the problem when transferring content made by itunes to other devices, that I get split albums and other problems from meta data not being correct. I attempted to fix a couple dozen albums with mp3tag recently before loading onto a phone, and while it fixed all the data somehow the songs all got shrunk to just snippets of their former length.

Is there any way to force itunes to update the id3 info of your collection or some program that can do it?

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
I had something similar happen a few years ago. I'd start with the basics. Back up playlists, & rescan Library. Sometimes that does it. Maybe turn off iCloud first.

Scan a backup of library into another music player(MusicBee) & try their auto-tagging.

You may have to re upload all your music to iCloud. IdK, cuz I don't use it. You may have to do it the old fashioned way too. MP3Tag & lots of patience. Good luck.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I have a bunch of esoteric music and / or mixes that can't be properly tagged. As a result, I have taken to manually tagging everything so that I have full control over the way the album is displayed. The program I use is called Tag & Rename, and it will try to auto-detect your album through one of a few services, download all proper tags, and album art, but you still need to manually approve the information that has been downloaded for you. You may need to adjust a few things, or download a higher res album art, but it gives you full control.

Some of these bulk / batch taggers will do a decent enough job for the majority of mainstream music, but I found that they didn't always work for me, so I decided to do things semi-manually to maintain a proper standard and control over everything. YMMV.

You've probably found it, but here is an article that addresses this..

http://lifehacker.com/5266613/six-best-mp3-tagging-tools

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Select multiple tracks or albums. Hold Shift to select contiguous blocks, or hold Ctrl to select/de-select individual tracks or albums.

Then, right-click anywhere on your selections and choose "Get Info..."

Any fields you enter will be applied to all of your selections. If you want them to get grouped together in the same album, set the artist AND album fields the same.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I had something similar happen a few years ago. I'd start with the basics. Back up playlists, & rescan Library. Sometimes that does it. Maybe turn off iCloud first.

Scan a backup of library into another music player(MusicBee) & try their auto-tagging.

You may have to re upload all your music to iCloud. IdK, cuz I don't use it. You may have to do it the old fashioned way too. MP3Tag & lots of patience. Good luck.

Don't have iCloud or anything else apple other than itunes and an ipod.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I have a bunch of esoteric music and / or mixes that can't be properly tagged. As a result, I have taken to manually tagging everything so that I have full control over the way the album is displayed. The program I use is called Tag & Rename, and it will try to auto-detect your album through one of a few services, download all proper tags, and album art, but you still need to manually approve the information that has been downloaded for you. You may need to adjust a few things, or download a higher res album art, but it gives you full control.

Some of these bulk / batch taggers will do a decent enough job for the majority of mainstream music, but I found that they didn't always work for me, so I decided to do things semi-manually to maintain a proper standard and control over everything. YMMV.

You've probably found it, but here is an article that addresses this..

http://lifehacker.com/5266613/six-best-mp3-tagging-tools

Having to do entire library manually now, ugh that would suck.

When I added all the CDS, I did adjust to put all songs of an album together and then linked to the itunes store which looked to correct everything and give me the artwork. Not sure what it's still having problems.