How to make sure I have Win 10 reserved?

skeedo

Nov 29, 2004
I have to say that the Win 10 upgrade tool is being quite dumb with me. I chose the 'Download now, upgrade later' option and it seemed to have dl Win 10...but now it's claiming that my system isn't eligible for the upgrade even though the report says my system is fine. All I'm trying to do is make sure my copy is reserved as I do not want to upgrade to 10 until I'm basically forced to do so, and I do not want to have to pay for it. Is burning a DVD a better option?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Sounds to me like the tool is functioning as I would expect it to. Is it telling your PC isn't "eligible" for, or isn't "ready" for or "compatible with", Win10? The former would imply (to me) that you aren't eligible to "obtain" the upgrade installation program/iso again, because you've already done so... Not "ready" for, or wording along those lines, would suggest that MS suddenly changed Win10's system requirements, which seems highly improbable, to say the least.

As for burning a DVD, well, you should certainly back up the installation file you previously downloaded, but it doesn't much matter what medium you choose for that... DVD, flash drive, either better than cloud storage in case your PC goes bottoms up before you get around to installing the upgrade. But I assume you can also get some sort of back-up copy/restore disc for Win10 itself with your key, though presumably not via the same method you used to "obtain the upgrade"...

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Download the win 10 ISO, burn it to a flash drive, and then install it. Then enter your old OS key, and it should tell you if you are activated or not.

Without showing us the exact thing you are seeing (take a pic), we can only guess.

skeedo

Nov 29, 2004
As you can see, the check says no while the report says yes. Windows upgrade says I can upgrade but it seemingly wants to download the whole thing again, even though I can see the install in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT.

upgrade1.png

upgrade2.png

upgrade3.png

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What does that compatibility report mentioned in your first pic say?

Last edited:

skeedo

Nov 29, 2004
The compatibility report is the second image. For redactedand giggles I did uninstall Corsair Link, not that it should make a goddamn difference. redactedmicrosoft, I'll just go steal a copy somewhere if I actually need to when the time comes to upgrade.

No profanity allowed on the tech forums. Also, no advocating of piracy allowed here either.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The compatibility report is the second image. For redacted and giggles I did uninstall Corsair Link, not that it should make a goddamn difference. redacted microsoft, I'll just go steal a copy somewhere if I actually need to when the time comes to upgrade.

Install it by running setup.exe.

To reserve your copy you need to install Win10 by the end of the month - it's really that simple. The free offer ends this month, and if you have not installed by then (thus creating a Win10 license from your Win8.1/7 license) you don't get it for free.

As a pro tip, you really don't want to be admitting to piracy or advocating it on this forum.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have to say that the Win 10 upgrade tool is being quite dumb with me. I chose the 'Download now, upgrade later' option and it seemed to have dl Win 10...but now it's claiming that my system isn't eligible for the upgrade even though the report says my system is fine. All I'm trying to do is make sure my copy is reserved as I do not want to upgrade to 10 until I'm basically forced to do so, and I do not want to have to pay for it. Is burning a DVD a better option?
from my professional perspective sounds to me like your SOL!!!!!

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
OP are you running a legitimate version of windows? Pirated versions tend to experience difficulties which is why I ask. Also the media creation tool will create a bootable media of your choosing for you to clean install 10 but time is running out to get in on the free upgrade.