Question How to make old hard drives unreadable for easy disposable?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i have a bunch of old IDE and SCSI hard drives from years ago.

i dont know whats on them. (might have my tax returns.)
i also dont want anyone looking into them either when i throw them away.

i no longer have a machine that has IDE or scsi connections so i cant format them.
i was thinking of drilling a hole through them. (maybe 4 holes?)

Whats an easy way to make them unreadable?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just throw them on the concrete ground hard.

The read/write head and disc will be damaged.

==

I will take out the strong magnets inside the HDDs first before throwing them away. :)

Reactions: aigomorla

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If you don't want to take them apart, I've found that a 10 pound sledge (along with appropriate safety glasses) is a very useful tool to use for decommissioning hard drives.

It also helps with stress relief at the same time....

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Wow, you are talking a lot of fun out of buying recycled drives.

For about $5 you can buy a USB adapter for IDE, and for that modest amount you can take the most green option, REUSE, give or sell the drives to people that need them. SCSI looks like it might need a $10 PCI card.

Bonus for doing a software wipe, MAYBE you find some old file etc that you would like to keep.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
i have a bunch of old IDE and SCSI hard drives from years ago.

i dont know whats on them. (might have my tax returns.)
i also dont want anyone looking into them either when i throw them away.

i no longer have a machine that has IDE or scsi connections so i cant format them.
i was thinking of drilling a hole through them. (maybe 4 holes?)

Whats an easy way to make them unreadable?

Take them apart. You get good magnets out of them and use the platters for a hanging wind chime

Reactions: yacoub

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
If you need to know there is no recoverability, most Data Asset companies will charge around $10 per drive in low quantities to shred and dispose of them for you.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I know a few people who use them for target practice. If you have the money, a degausser like the Proton 1100 ($515).

If you have to go to all the trouble of disassembling the drive to use the degausser what's the point in spending $500 on it? At that point it's easy to just break/bend/smash the platters. The drives not re-usable once opened anyways.

I just use a sledge, or sometimes squeeze the entire drive in a huge vise we have at work. Either way, the platters will never be read again, and it's much quicker. Maybe 10 seconds.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
If you have to go to all the trouble of disassembling the drive to use the degausser what's the point in spending $500 on it? At that point it's easy to just break/bend/smash the platters. The drives not re-usable once opened anyways.

I just use a sledge, or sometimes squeeze the entire drive in a huge vise we have at work. Either way, the platters will never be read again, and it's much quicker. Maybe 10 seconds.
How much does a good bench vise cost today? I've seen something similar in a machine - Aleratec HDD drive destroyer, but it's not cheap at $1500. For whole drive degaussers like the Verity V91, Datastroyer 105, or Proton T-1 you're going to pay $2400-$6000. I saw a few places that used to rent the machines but I'm not sure if they're still around. There's an add-on for the datastroyer for SSD, flash, phones that uses 95 spikes

Found a video where someone tried hammer, sledge, and nail gun. Found a drive that suffered a crash at about 8:05.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
How much does a good bench vise cost today?

Mine was about $50, but I was referring to one at work that is probably 40 years old, and huge. At home I use a sledge for old IDE drives, or drives that won't function. I use software for any sata drives, never know when you will find someone who needs one.

The guy in the video sucked with a sledge. He was just hitting the drive anywhere. You want to hit it on the edge, not the spindle. One or two hits and it's destroyed, all platters.

Reactions: dlerious

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I used to just take them apart and use tin snips to cut the platters in half. If you're paranoid, dip them in a strong solvent (MEK?) for an hour and then toss them.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
If you still have the pc that can use them, there was software that would write zeros to them. If you still need it, I'll see if it's still around. If not, taking them apart and breaking the platters would be my next option.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Unscrew the top cover.

Use your magnet of choice on the platters.

Snip the wires going to the heads. Unscrew the pcb and toss it in a different garbage can.

If your really motivated take a concrete (not wood) chisel and tap on the heads once or twice to bend them like a pretzel.

Your goal is not to make it impossible, your goal is to avoid being the low hanging fruit. Do not put to much effort in it.

nosirrahx

Mar 24, 2018
Don't take anything apart. Drive a nail through the drive. This will shatter the platters and the fact that you left the drive together keeps the mess contained inside.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Why bother to pay for it when you can do it yourself at home with a few tools.

Indeed. As pointed out in the thread, there is plenty of scope to be creative about it too.

Although I suppose it's not a bad deal if you don't have somewhere to easily dispose of the remains (i.e. recycling station close by).

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The drives not re-usable once opened anyways.
I wouldn't say that it is good for a drive to be open to contamination but a drive can still function after being open. I've seen video of home drive repair/recovery where they open a drive, replace parts or unstick heads and then run the drive. The video points out some wipers on the drive designed to remove debris. Data was recovered without any special techniques.

Smashing/nail should suffice for all but the most paranoid.

There are easy/free ways to read deleted files or formatted drives.

Evidently even secure erased and smashed drives can be read using special techniques/hardware but your average identity thief will not have access to anything like that (something about new data bits not lining up exactly with old data bits so the data isn't completely erased). If I were a mob boss with sensitive data I'd want the drive melted down to slag...